Invincible's torpedoes

From the birth of the Dreadnought to the period immediately after the end of World War I.
MikeBrough

Invincible's torpedoes

Post by MikeBrough »

I'm reading the entry for the Invincibles in Burt's British Battleships of World War One. In the torpedoes section it shows the following:

"Five 18 in torpedo tubes (four beam, one stern); twenty-three torpedoes plus six 14 in for the boats."

Did the Invincible's boats carry their own torpedoes?
Ersatz Yorck

Re: Invincible's torpedoes

Post by Ersatz Yorck »

I have a recollection of reading that some predreadnought had ship's boats equipped with torpedoes, but I cannot remember which one or from which country.
MikeBrough

Post by MikeBrough »

i did some digging and I suspect the photo on this page http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/torpedo_boats.htm (second down on the left) is what I'm looking for.

I'm quite surprised by the idea of battleships carrying one of these all that time ago - a bit like modern ships carrying a helicopter for ASW work.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

MikeBrough wrote:i did some digging and I suspect the photo on this page http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/torpedo_boats.htm (second down on the left) is what I'm looking for.

I'm quite surprised by the idea of battleships carrying one of these all that time ago - a bit like modern ships carrying a helicopter for ASW work.

..... Carriage of small torpedo launches aboard capital ships actually goes back to the late ironclad period.

B
MikeBrough

Post by MikeBrough »

Thanks, Byron. Any idea which of the ship's boats would carry torpedoes? I'm assuming it would be the 'steam pinnace' but I can't find info anywhere online - and Burt assumes I know much more than I do. I suppose I could always ask him! Anyone have an email address for him?
culverin

Post by culverin »

Mike, your lead post and the issue of 14" torpedoes to this class.
That is correct.
As built, Indomitable, Inflexible and Invincible used the 14" (356mm) Whitehead torpedo in its various marks, depending on the date, for use by the ships 50' coal fired steam pinnace. A 2nd 50' or 36' was also sometimes carried, but only the 50' could be equipped with the lightweight dropping gear, 1 port, 1 starboard, for carrying, lowering and release of the weapon(s).
The 50' Steam pinnace was designed for use by the host warship, invariably battleships or equivalent, for protection whilst anchored, hence the picket. They could also carry a 3 pdr, maxim machine gun and assorted smaller arms, under the command of a midshipman or sub lt. A command no less. Crew c 14.
By the Great war in 1914 their use in this role was diminished, especially as most ships landed some boats.
Additional roles were as an Admirals or Captains barge, libertmen duties and also torpedo recovery. The fastest boat carried, once you had got steam up, 1.5 hours.
These 3 sisters had the 50' steam pinnace stowed port side aft, abaft the seaboat on the davits, amongst the other boats where the main mast boom was employed to place them in the water. Davits would lower the torpedo into the pinnace.
Total weight of a full complement of boats carried. 55tons.
A full broadside. The traditional English salute.
Thanks. Sean.
tone

Post by tone »

MikeBrough wrote:i did some digging and I suspect the photo on this page http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/torpedo_boats.htm (second down on the left) is what I'm looking for.

The vessels equipped with these small torpedoes were smaller than first- or second-class torpedo boats (as I am guessing are described on that defunct link). They also had small guns like 3-pdrs and low velocity 6- and 12-pdrs that were usually kept aboard their host ship

tone