German WW1 battlecruiser paint scheme(s)

From the birth of the Dreadnought to the period immediately after the end of World War I.
paulcadogan

German WW1 battlecruiser paint scheme(s)

Post by paulcadogan »

Hi all,

This question partly belongs in the ship models forum, but I felt better asking it here where it might get wider input...

Last year, Flyhawk models has released 1/700 kits of the BC's Derfflinger and Luetzow. The paint guide for both calls for the second funnel to be painted a dark red.

When I built the Derfflinger, I followed the instructions and felt that it gave the kit a unique look. Now I'm about to start Luetzow and am wondering about the funnel colour. The pictures I've found of her do not suggest any difference in the funnel colour - same for Derfflinger.

So....did they really sport a red funnel at any time, and if so, what was the rationale? One would think that would stick out like a sore thumb in the sights of enemy gunners!

Flyhawk box art:

Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
Byron Angel

Re: German WW1 battlecruiser paint scheme(s)

Post by Byron Angel »

Painting the aftermost funnel in a selected color was a tactical vessel recognition practice of the HSF. The color would vary for each operation and (according to Gary Staff) be applied after the ships were out of sight of land; Staff specifically mentions the use of both red and yellow, but other colors may have been employed as well. Red is most noteworthy because it was the recognition color used during Jutland.

B
paulcadogan

Post by paulcadogan »

Thanks Byron!

That explains why a colour difference is not usually noticeable in photos - not too many out there showing the German ships in action.

I guess the practice carried over into WW2 with the painting of the turret tops....

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

paulcadogan wrote:Thanks Byron!

That explains why a colour difference is not usually noticeable in photos - not too many out there showing the German ships in action.

I guess the practice carried over into WW2 with the painting of the turret tops....

Paul

..... Hi Paul - To be sure, the color difference would probably not be obvious in B&W photos, especially if one was not looking for it, but I have seen the red funnel feature portrayed in certain German naval war art of the great Skaggerakschlacht.

B