Officers of the Kaiserliche Marine

From the birth of the Dreadnought to the period immediately after the end of World War I.
AdmiralSemmes

Officers of the Kaiserliche Marine

Post by AdmiralSemmes »

I've been trying to find information on the officers of the Imperial German navy, and I've been left with several questions.

I've heard that the navy was one of the only truly "German" branches of the armed forces, compared with the Prussian slant of the land forces. Did the navy have the same bias toward aristocratic officers that the army did?

What was the average process of becoming an officer, and what duties did the officers perform at each grade?
OpanaPointer

Re: Officers of the Kaiserliche Marine

Post by OpanaPointer »

I suggest Holger Herwig's Luxury Fleet. Available on Kindle at Amazon. Been 15 years since I read but his research notes should provide some breadcrumbs for you.
AdmiralSemmes

Post by AdmiralSemmes »

OpanaPointer wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:10 pm I suggest Holger Herwig's Luxury Fleet. Available on Kindle at Amazon. Been 15 years since I read but his research notes should provide some breadcrumbs for you.
Thank you for the recommendation, I had been concerned Herwig would be too general, glad to see it might be more useful than I thought.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

AdmiralSemmes wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:15 am
OpanaPointer wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:10 pm I suggest Holger Herwig's Luxury Fleet. Available on Kindle at Amazon. Been 15 years since I read but his research notes should provide some breadcrumbs for you.
Thank you for the recommendation, I had been concerned Herwig would be too general, glad to see it might be more useful than I thought.
The references are the first thing I look at in a book like that, it shows me what the author focused on to some extent.