Best Armoured Cruiser Design

From the first Ironclad warships to the battle of Tsushima.
VoidSamukai

Best Armoured Cruiser Design

Postby VoidSamukai » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:37 am

Okay guys, so what do you think is the best armoured cruiser design and why.

Definition: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armored_cruiser

For the sakes of fairness, the Invincible and Duetschland class (1930) don't count as armoured cruisers even if their navies initially consider them as such, as neither had much relationships with the original armoured cruiser concepts.

Thorsten Wahl

Re: Best Armoured Cruiser Design

Postby Thorsten Wahl » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:58 pm

CA means - cruiser armored
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!

VoidSamukai

Postby VoidSamukai » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:17 pm

I always thought it meant Cruiser-Type A. Guess I learnt something.

Anyways Lets just try and stick with typical armoured cruisers, eg Blucher, Scharnhorst (the one that was sunk at the Falklands, not the battleship/battlecruiser or ocean liner ones). Otherwise all the world's heavy cruisers: Mogami, Baltimore, Zara, County etc, would be classified s armoured cruisers.

And the latter mentioned cruiser is by no means in my books that well armoured :D

RF

Postby RF » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:13 pm

''Armoured cruiser'' is a term generally used for WW1 and pre-WW1 heavy cruisers and fell out of use post-WW1 when ''heavy cruiser'' became the common description. This was when speed rather than armoured protection was the main criteria.

In strict fairness I think that either WW1 or pre-WW1 cruisers only should be considered. In terms of ship combat achievement I would nominate Scharnhorst classe, in terms of achieving victory at Coronel and then taking a considerable battering from two battlecruisers at the Falkland Islands before sinking.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:37 am

The definition of Armoured Cruiser comes from the three general forms of cruiser extant in the Nineteenth Century:

Unprotected Cruisers - Unarmoured cruising ships such as Frigates & Corvettes

Protected Cruisers - Cruisers with a protective deck - i.e. curved horizontal armour which (put very simply) provides some side protection via the armour's slopes - but no belt armour.

Armoured Cruisers - Cruisers with an armoured belt.

The definition was entirely (in vast majority of countries anyway - the Germans for instance rated their cruisers differently) based on the armour scheme. Thus the small 4.7in gunned Japanese cruiser Chiyoda was an AC due to being belted. However, the weight of belt armour at the time quickly elevated AC's into ships as expensive as and almost as battle capable as battleships.

By the time that WW1 began these definitions had begun to disappear with new construction of Armoured Cruisers morphing into Battlecruisers and Protected Cruisers being lumped into the new categories of Scout & Light Cruisers, which could have a belt thanks to improved armour & construction techniques.

The advent of the Heavy Cruiser stems from the two categories of cruisers eventually defined by the post-war Washington & London Treaties & was entirely based upon gun size. From 1930 anything with a gun larger than 6.1" became a Heavy Cruiser (although this term wasn't used by all nations - the Brits for instance just called their CA's '8in cruisers' ). The 19th Century forebear of the Heavy Cruiser was the Protected Cruiser rather than the AC despite some misleading similarities.

I'd nominate Blucher as the best AC.

VoidSamukai

Postby VoidSamukai » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:53 pm

Agreed

For the best design, I would say for the typical role of scouting and support, the German Blucher would be good. She was fast and had very good firepower. And like the Scharnhorst class, she took a lot of damage before sinking.

For battleline duties (fighting along side BBs and BCs) the Russian Rurik or Japanese Ibuki class. Both had very powerful main guns, the latter having the same 12inch guns found on battleships at the time, and both had good armour while still being faster than most pre dreadnoughts.

Return to “The Ironclad & Pre-dreadnought Era (1860-1905)”