SUEZ 1956- NAVAL ACTION

Naval discussions covering the latter half of the 20th Century.
aurora

SUEZ 1956- NAVAL ACTION

Post by aurora »

The Sinking of the Domiat

On the evening of 31 October 1956, with Egypt and Britain being at war during the Suez Canal crisis, the HMS Newfoundland, a British Fiji-class cruiser, was patrolling the Red Sea south of Suez. She encountered a darkened ship passing here in the opposite direction. The Newfoundland closed to 1,500 yards, and came parallel to this ship, signalling it to heave-to or be fired upon. The darkened ship signalled acknowledgement and appeared to slow down. Then it extinguished its running lights and trained her guns on the Newfoundland who then immediatly opened fire. This was at approximately 0130 on 01 November 1956.

The ship, later identified as the Egyptian Navy Frigate Domiat, had just left the port of Adabieh on its way to rendevouz with the Egyptian Frigate Rosetta, began returning fire a moment later.

By all accounts given, the Egyptian sailors on board the ship bravely returned fire, scoring a few hits on the Newfoundland causing some damage and a few injuries with her 4-inch shells. However, the Domiat was no match for the British cruiser and, after her bridge and wheelhouse had been destroyed, among other battle damage, the Domiat soon capsized, and sank after being finished off by the HMS Diana (Daring Class destroyer), under the command of Capt. J. Gowers, when it was thought that the Domiat was trying to ram her.

The Newfoundland and Diana rescued 69 survivors from the wreckage. Egyptian casualites were reported as being 6 officers and 50 sailors. British casualties, 6 sailors.
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
RF

Re: SUEZ 1956- NAVAL ACTION

Post by RF »

I'm not aware of any official declaration of war in respect to the Suez operation. Egypt was at war with Israel, a state it did not recognise, but not with either Britain or France.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
aurora

Re: SUEZ 1956- NAVAL ACTION

Post by aurora »

RF wrote:I'm not aware of any official declaration of war in respect to the Suez operation. Egypt was at war with Israel, a state it did not recognise, but not with either Britain or France.
RF -you are right-Having read through the entire Suez Crisis text-I could not find any formal Declaration of War by GB or France to Egypt.The HMS Newfoundland engagement with Domiat did occur after Newfoundland was fired at by Domiat

aurora
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim