Greatest Warship Name Ever

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
Madcap

Re: Greatest Warship Name Ever

Post by Madcap »

I believe the name Enterprise is British in origin (as a name for a ship) or possibly French. Dating back to the early 1700s, a U.S ship didn't bear the name until much later. British ships bearing this name have never been of a significance ie Battleship, they have been sloops a Central Battery Ironclad or its biggest incarnation a Light Cruiser, Laid down on 28 June 1918 and decommissioned 13 January 1946.The current HMS Enterprise is a multi-role survey vessel.

Personally i'm not keen on the name Enterprise but I like the following:

German; Von Der Tann and Moltke.

British; Indefatigable; Vanguard; Dreadnaught, Resolution; Iron Duke; Conquerer;; and Duke of York.

French; Redoutable.
"Facts are meaningless, they can prove anything thats even remotely true."

Homer J Simpson... Genius
RNfanDan
Supporter

Post by RNfanDan »

Please, people...it's Dreadnought, not "Dreadnaught"...

I advise the same care be taken when spelling "Bismark", "Repluse", "Graf Spree", "Graff Spee", and "Sharnhorst"---all these being common errors of course, but still WRONG.

It's not an English-language barrier issue, either---these are formal ships' names, and easily respected as such.

Thank you.
RF

Post by RF »

I agree entirely.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Madcap wrote:I believe the name Enterprise is British in origin (as a name for a ship) or possibly French. Dating back to the early 1700s, a U.S ship didn't bear the name until much later....
http://starchive.cs.umanitoba.ca/?SNE/
List the first US warship with that name as dating from 1775. Several British and one French before that.
aurora

Post by aurora »

I favour ILLUSTRIOUS and VICTORIOUS as splendid names for two very hard fought "capital" ships in WW2.Typically RN names of course; but meaningful.

aurora
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
RF

Post by RF »

Madcap wrote:I believe the name Enterprise is British in origin (as a name for a ship) or possibly French.
When I was reading for my degree (in economics) we were told that the word enterprise is taken from entrepreneur, representing one of the four factors of production in neo-classical microeconomics.
The word enteepreneur is French in derivation, meaning ''taking between.''
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
aurora

Post by aurora »

Now there's a surprise.
OED enterprise>noun 1.a project or undertaking,typically one that is difficult or requires effort."a joint enterprise between French and Japanese companies"
*(mass noun)initiative and resourcefulness."success came quickly thanks to a mixture of talent ,enterprise and luck"
2.a business or company;"a state owned enterprise"
*(mass noun)entrepreneurial economic activity
ORIGIN late middle English:from Old French,"something undertaken".feminine past participle (used as a noun) of "entreprendre",based on Latin "prendere" and "prehendere" -"to take"

Jim
neil hilton

Post by neil hilton »

If my memory serves me right the first ship named Enterprize was English, note the spelling. It think she was a race built galleon and took part against the Spanish Armada in 1588.
Veni, vidi, verrimus!
I came, I saw, I swept the floor!
aurora

Post by aurora »

WARSPITE,RENOWN and TIGER :cool: :cool:

aurora

Jim