Germans in WWII Tokyo

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
janel90

Germans in WWII Tokyo

Post by janel90 »

Hello -

I am new here and this is my first post - I had found an email trail regarding Germans in Tokyo during WWII on this forum.

My German mother lived in Japan 1935-1948, her step-father was part of the German Naval Air Attache's office in the German Embassy for much of that time. I am interested in what her life must have been like during that time and if anyone at all is able to share personal stories of that place and period - anything from general comments about the German community in Tokyo at that time to specifics about Wenneker and Ott (names she has mentioned often; she was best friends with Ott's daughter, Ulla.)

Could someone offer information or point me in a direction that might help me out?

Thank you all so much!
RF

Re: Germans in WWII Tokyo

Post by RF »

There is little information on this topic, as I have for some years being trying to unearth information on the German embassy in Tokyo.

I think the lack of information is for two reasons. Firstly the very tight restrictions the Japanese imposed on the movements and activities of the Germans (especially after the Sorge spy ring was exposed) and secondly after Japan surrendered the US intelligence services I understand ransacked the embassy building and removed all the contents. They have given out very little information since.

Wenneker whilst in US captivity was interviewed by the American press and gave his views on why Japan lost the war, reasons which concur with the general historical view.

The information on the embassy itself is sketchy - about three floors above ground level, the top floor was a radio station off limits to the personnel not involved in radio work. I gather the building was damaged by the US air raids, how badly isn't clear.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
janel90

Re: Germans in WWII Tokyo

Post by janel90 »

Thanks for the reply!

Interesting that you mention Sorge - one of my mom's stories was about how both she and Sorge were houseguests of Ambassador Ott at the same time for three weeks. Mom was spending time with Ulla Ott and Sorge was visiting with the Ambassador. I will ask her for her memories of anything about him during that time.