Admiral's staff and their roles

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
paulcadogan

Admiral's staff and their roles

Post by paulcadogan »

Hi folks,

Following a question posed in another forum, I've been thinking about the functions of the various members of an Admiral's staff in the general scheme of things. I'm not sure how this staff will vary with the rank of the admiral, but for example in the RN there's the Chief of Staff, Squadron Commander, Squadron Gunnery Officer...

So what was the general structure of an admiral's staff and how did the members function?

I've always wondered what role Cdr. "Tiny" Gregson, the Squadron G.O. aboard Hood during her final sortie, played in the scheme of things. He was on the compass platform during the action and seemed not directly involved in gunnery per se at all. After all, while Hood was busy shooting at the wrong ship, he was able to go out on the wing of the compass platform, look aft and report the fire that resulted from PG's second salvo... Don't get me wrong - not being critical - I just want to know...

Paul
Qui invidet minor est - He who envies is the lesser man
RF

Re: Admiral's staff and their roles

Post by RF »

An interesting question.

It could equally be asked of the Admiral's staff on Bismarck.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.