Jutland

General naval discussions that don't fit within any specific time period or cover several issues.
paul.mercer

Jutland

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen,
For those of us in the UK there are a couple of good programs on Jutland this week, one on Sunday and anther on Tuesday.
RF

Re: Jutland

Post by RF »

Yes I have seen them....... and in line with the current trend in documentary dramas they hype and stir up controversy over the reputation of Jellicoe. Quite unnecessarily so.

But at least Dan Snow drew the main correct conclusion - that the British blockade of Germany remained intact and that this blockade was a decisive factor in starving Germany into signing the Armistice.

The fact that Jellicoe was cautious was the decisive winning factor for 1918. Germany was a land power and defeating the HSF does nothing to defeat the German Army, whereas0 the blockade ultimately did.
But losing the Grand Fleet would have left the eastern seaboard of England wide open to invasion, it would also enable the HSF to interdict with its heavy ships in the English Channel. These two points were NOT MENTIONED in either documentary and I would ask why not?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.