weight breakdown for torpedoes

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Frej

weight breakdown for torpedoes

Post by Frej »

Can anybody please provide weight breakdowns for torpedoes? I don't need much detail, all I need is how much of the total weight of a torpedo at the moment of launching consists of the following:
- warhead (only the actual explosive)
- propellant (for instance, fuel+oxidizer, including any water coolant that may be present in the torpedo at launch but excluding any seawater ingested while running; for electric torpedoes the battery weight but not seawater)
- everything else (if you provide percentages rather than kg or lbs, I can of course calculate this myself)
The more different torpedo designs you include, the better, but a single design is enough if it is reasonably representative.
OpanaPointer

Re: weight breakdown for torpedoes

Post by OpanaPointer »

Frej

Re: weight breakdown for torpedoes

Post by Frej »

OpanaPointer:

Thanks (sort of). I had actually looked up that page before I posted my question. It contains plenty of interesting info but not what I asked for. However, your post made me look at the links from that page when I found time to do so. The pages for the German G7a(TI) and Japanese Type 93 torpedoes contained enough data that I could estimate the actual propellant weights (fuel and oxidizer) for these torpedoes. I still don't know the empty weight of the propellant tanks, but I ignored that and pretended that I had enough data and concocted a method of estimating torpedo performance for a game I'm working on. I suppose it's usable for game purposes.