Luftwaffe torpedo planes

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
RF

Re: Luftwaffe´s torpedo planes

Post by RF »

VeenenbergR wrote:In WWII Germany sank some 4800 enemy ships by joint effort of all her forces.

U-Boats (losses 620) sank about 2800+ enemy transports and some 300+ warships.
Luftwaffe sank some 800 enemy transports and 400 warships of which the Condor alone sank about 250 enemy ships with few losses of their own. Greatest enemy warship sank was the modern battleship Roma in 1943 by Dorniers equiped with the Fritz-X rocket bomb.
By all other causes another 500 other enemy ships were sunk.

Submarines and Aircraft were the real killers, surface warships had a small part of all those losses.
Looking at this post again I was wondering how the impact of mines is incorporated into these figures, are they included as part of the 500 ships caused by other causes.
As for surface warships (including hilfskreuzer) I make it about 187 merchantmen sunk, which I think is a significant total bearing in mind capture and use of some of these ships and their cargoes by the KM and German economy generally.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
VeenenbergR

Re: Luftwaffe torpedo planes

Post by VeenenbergR »

To RF.

Bombs mostly set fire to ships. Torpedo's and mines (and gunfire below the waterline) are the sinking weapons.
In the 500 mentioned, this comprise surface ship action, including E-boats and mines (roughly half divided).

Main aicraft types used by the Luftwaffe against ships were:

1939: Ju87, He111, He115
1940: Ju87, He111, He115, Ju88, Fw200
1941: Ju87, He111, Ju88, Fw200
1942: Ju87, He111, Ju88, Fw200
1943: Ju87, Do217, Ju88, He177
1944: Ju87 (Crimea!), Do217, Ju188, He177

The Do217 was a very potent bomber!!!
RF

Post by RF »

I believe the Luftwaffe did have some use of the Italian SM 79 against shipping as well. Not sure with what results.
Natter

Re: German torpedo bombers

Post by Natter »

Tiornu wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:49 am The Germans had a great torpedo biplane, the Fi 167, but since they weren't excited about carrier aircraft, they built only a dozen so. They did not have a specialized multi-engine torpedo bomber, though the He 111 did a fair amount of torpedo work. There was a chance for developing a torpedo-bomber version of the FW 190, but no one would have dared to try it with a 109.
The low number of Fi 176 was due to it being a pre-production used to compete for a contract for carrier-based torpedobombers. As the carriers were cancelled, the need for the planes were gone as well.

The Luftwaffe developed several specialized torpedobombers after the "disputes" with Kriegsmarine ended ca 1941.
RF

Post by RF »

My understanding is that the carriers were cancelled except for Graf Zeppelin, which had a constant stop-start mode. I would have thought that there would have been interest in developing aircraft for use on GZ, notwithstanding Goering's opposition to a naval air arm.

Another aspect is that pre-war leading to the Z Plan the KM did look at the Japanese carriers, however no mention is made of their planes such as the Kate torpedo bomber or the Zero. I find that somewhat surprising as the Japs did have an interest in German aircraft developments.