USN 16" gun training film! - A MUST SEE!!!

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
dunmunro

USN 16" gun training film! - A MUST SEE!!!

Post by dunmunro »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OmOQs0z ... re=related

now compare the USN procedure to the RN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsp0Mr5L ... re=related

it seems as though the RN system minimizes manual handling of the shells and, especially, the cordite.
Bgile

Re: USN 16" gun training film! - A MUST SEE!!!

Post by Bgile »

Really good videos, although the Nelson one doesn't show much of the process.

I noted that the powder and shell is in the same hoist on the Nelson, so they are tied to each other in the process which puts shell and powder in the hoist. It looks simpler in the turret, although I'm guessing that the combined hoist has to stop at two or three different levels and the powder and shell can't be loaded in the hoist at the same time.

Also, the three gun turret isn't subdivided into three separate gun compartments and FC booth as in US practice.

I suspect the one for 15" guns and probably 14" as well looks a bit more like the US process.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

I assumed that it was a 14" quad turret, but the 4th gun is out of the camera's FoV, the external firing view is a pair of 15" twin mounts.
oifvet23

Post by oifvet23 »

great videos, where can you find more videos like these?
RF

Post by RF »

Bgile wrote:Really good videos, although the Nelson one doesn't show much of the process.
I agree completely.

Are we actually told that the British video is of Nelson- if it is a quad turret then obviously it would be KGV class.

Looking at the RN video I am reminded of the film shots in ''Sink the Bismarck'' where immediately prior to the DS battle we see film of Hood's guns being loaded and trained.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

RF wrote:
Bgile wrote:Really good videos, although the Nelson one doesn't show much of the process.
I agree completely.

Are we actually told that the British video is of Nelson- if it is a quad turret then obviously it would be KGV class.

Looking at the RN video I am reminded of the film shots in ''Sink the Bismarck'' where immediately prior to the DS battle we see film of Hood's guns being loaded and trained.
I recently acquired the original film on DVD and the RN clip sequence was filmed on KGV. The original film is entitled: Battleship and reveals varied aspects of life aboard HMS KGV.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

And here is some scenes aboard Rodney including loading her 16" guns:

http://www.britishpathe.com/images//pre ... 038344.WMV