USS Washington radars

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
maxs75

Re: US battleships radars

Post by maxs75 »

Hello,
Do you have the corresponding dates for North Carolina?
From photo (most of them at navsource.org) it seems that North Carolina still had 2 Mk3 after the repair of torpedo damage in 1942. Anyway in april or in september 1943 she had one Mk8 fitted on the aft director.
Possibly the second one was fitted in september 1944.

I agree that Washington had the aft Mk8 fitted in july 1943 and the fore one in april-may 1944.
I agree for South Dakota as well.
Anyway it seems that both Indiana and Alabama had two Mk8 as built, and Massachusetts had two Mk3 during Torch, but that 2 Mk8 were fitted before going to Pacific.

Do you have something different about Indiana and Massachusetts?
And do you have correct date for North Carolina (Mk8 in april or september 1943)?

Thank you in advance
Max

Brad Fischer wrote:Dave your dates are a bit off here. Washington had her first Mk 8 install on Spot II in July 1943. She lagged the rest of the fast battleline by several months. Here is the install times for the rest:

BB57- 2/43 & 8/43
BB58- 9/42 & 10/43
BB59- 1/43 & 8/43
BB60- 11/42 & 8/43

The Iowas were all delivered with the Mark 8 mod 1s installed on both directors. Note the second date includes the second installation (if the ship didn't have two from the original install date) as well as the upgrade to the Mark 8 Mod 1. I don't have access to all of my files as they're packed away in aticiaption of moving so I don't have North Carolina's installation dates on hand.

Brad Fischer