13.5 inch Barbette

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
RANGER8894

13.5 inch Barbette

Post by RANGER8894 »

i was wondering if anyone could provide information on that this plate was use for. I am intrigued that it has Arabic script on one side. Many thanks.
Attachments
BRASS-GUN-PLATE-2042.jpg
BRASS-GUN-PLATE-2042.jpg (73.31 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
Images of Brass plate 13.5 Barbette Gun Plate
Images of Brass plate 13.5 Barbette Gun Plate
BRASS-GUN-PLATE-1041.jpg (73.82 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
Nearchus

Re: 13.5 inch Barbette

Post by Nearchus »

Perhaps from HMS ERIN (ex RESHADIEH built for Turkey). The Turks were still using Arabic script in 1914.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

I think ERIN is a likely candidate, but the matter remains a bit puzzling.

ERIN was constructed by Vickers, as were her 13.5 guns, but I was unable to determine who constructed the main battery mountings. However, a corporate relationship did exist between Vickers and Armstrong around the time of ERIN's construction, so Armstrong could possibly have supplied the mountings. The British 13.5-inch mounting Mk II (according to "The Big Gun", by Peter Hodges) was fitted in HMS ORION, MONARCH, THUNDERER, LION and PRINCESS ROYAL. The Mk II* was fitted to KING GEORGE V, CENTURION, AUDACIOUS, and QUEEN MARY. The Mk II** was fitted to IRON DUKE, MARLBOROUGH, EMPEROR OF INDIA, and TIGER. It is likely that ERIN received Mk II mountings as well, but she was not explicitly named by Hodges.

In any case, judging from the cited component weights, my suspicion is that the the plates illustrated probably refer to components of the ammunition handling system, i.e. - slide and loading arm. The 13.5-inch gun mounted to ERIN weighed 77 tons.

Byron
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

I'm guessing that this plate was made up to allow Turkish sailors to train on RN pre-dreadnought BBs, or to allow them to inspect them for possible purchase.
Nearchus

Post by Nearchus »

The only RN pre-Dreadnought armed with 13.5" guns still around in 1914 was the REVENGE of 1894 and the Turks would hardly be interested in purchasing her!
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

Nearchus wrote:The only RN pre-Dreadnought armed with 13.5" guns still around in 1914 was the REVENGE of 1894 and the Turks would hardly be interested in purchasing her!
according to Navweaps the MkII 13.5" mount was a pre-dreadnought gun mounting:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_135-30_mk1.htm
Nearchus

Post by Nearchus »

Are not Navweaps talking about the Mk II gun rather than the Mk II mounting?
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

Nearchus wrote:Are not Navweaps talking about the Mk II gun rather than the Mk II mounting?

..... The main battery mountings were in all likelihood some version of the Mk II - but I'm still seeking verification. The 13.5-inch guns mounted to ERIN were Mk VI "Vickers Special" according to R A Burt's "British Battleships of World War One".

Byron