Free Electron Laser (FEL) USN's Future CIWS

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Kyler

Free Electron Laser (FEL) USN's Future CIWS

Post by Kyler »

Reported by Wired Magazine, Boeing has won another laser contract with the DoD.
This time they are building a laser of the USN. Boeing has already completed initial
designs for the FEL. Since this laser is powered by electricity not by chemical fuel
it will have unlimited firing capability as long as it has a good power supply.
The USN eventually wants the system to replace the current systems of 20mm Phalanx .
CIWS and RAM.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/03 ... gle+Reader
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
Bgile

Re: Free Electron Laser (FEL) USN's Future CIWS

Post by Bgile »

This kind of thing would really require a lot of energy management. I can see the close in defense version first appearing on CVNs, and the ship slowing down or not being able to use cats while defending against incoming missiles ... probably an acceptable tradeoff if it is truly effective. I think the largest threat is still torpedoes though.
Kyler

Re: Free Electron Laser (FEL) USN's Future CIWS

Post by Kyler »

I agree power consumption is a key issue with this technology, but Boeing is a leader in the development of new powerful solid state laser technology. The FEL will just be one of those system people will have to keep an eye in the coming years. Though given Boeing's recent success in different laser tests, I would suspect the preliminary design will work quite well.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)