North Carolina Firepower tour

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
lwd

North Carolina Firepower tour

Post by lwd »

Just saw this posted on the WWII forum at: http://www.ww2f.com/wwii-today/41757-us ... event.html
Thought some here might be interested.
Fire on Target!
Inside the Firepower of the
Battleship NORTH CAROLINA
June 12, 2010
10:00 am – 5:00 pm

WILMINGTON, NC You have seen them, you might have even heard them yet you still wonder how did those big guns on the Battleship NORTH CAROLINA hit their targets with such precision?

For the first time in the Battleship memorial’s history, you have the opportunity to learn about her weapons system with hands on experience at the FirePower Tour on Saturday, June 12, 2010 from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm!

Explore the guns and fire control system from top to bottom through an engaging and in depth program that will intrigue and entice the true enthusiast. This day long event covers the workings of the ship’s guns and the system that enabled her to locate, pinpoint and fire upon her targets. An extensive tour, you will be able to maneuver up and down seven to nine levels of the ship as if you were a sailor in Word War II.

Learn more about the Battleship NORTH CAROLINA’s 16-inch and 5-inch guns from the gun houses to the ammunition loading compartments; the 40mm and 20mm guns, and the weapons that they replaced (1.10 and 50 caliber guns). Presenters will also discuss the various types of fire control equipment (directors/optical range finders, radar, computers) and how battery plotting rooms and the combat information center operated.

The program is for adults only (ages 16 and up) and not appropriate for those who may have difficulty climbing. Comfortable and washable clothing as well as sturdy, rubber-soled shoes are recommended to best enjoy the day. Cameras are certainly welcome so that you can create your own memories aboard the ship.

Event cost is $95; $85 for Friends of the Battleship or active military and includes box lunch and a CD of data and images. There are limited tickets available to those who register first by Wednesday, June 9, 2010. No walk up tickets will be available. Call today at 910-251-5797 x3001 for registration or x3026 for more information on this unique opportunity to participate in the first ever Firepower Tour.

This is also on Facebook.
Bgile

Re: North Carolina Firepower tour

Post by Bgile »

Oh my gosh!

I would so love to do that! I've been aboard NC and she has been very well taken care of.

Unfortunately there is no way I could justify the trip there from the west coast.
lwd

Post by lwd »

I'd love to make it as well but it's not in the cards.
Hopefully someone from here can make it and give us a report though.
yellowtail3

Post by yellowtail3 »

I drove past her just last night on my way from Wilmington to Fayetteville. Always looks good...
Shift Colors... underway.