Firing Key Mark XIV Mod 1 info?

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Bofud

Firing Key Mark XIV Mod 1 info?

Post by Bofud »

Greetings all!
I am searching for information on the "Firing Key Mark XIV Mod 1" used on Naval guns. A small Naval Air Station Museum I recently visited had one of these on display, but were unaware of its identity, purpose or history. I would appreciate any information or leads you could provide me with to assist them in properly displaying this item.

Thanks in advance!

Bofud
marcelo_malara

Re: Firing Key Mark XIV Mod 1 info?

Post by marcelo_malara »

May be it refers to a tube that is inserted in the breech block in order to fire a bagged charge. Or the mechanism that detonates the mentioned tube. Can you provide any photo?
Bofud

Post by Bofud »

I apologise, I should have been more specific with my initial question. No, sadly I could not obtain a photo. It looks smilar in size and shape to a flare pistol. Made of brass, the barrel section is solid except for a 1/4" dia. hole centered in the "muzzle" approximately 1" deep and 2 small alignment holes. On top of the breech ring is another hole, threaded, extending into the trigger mechanism.
My knowledge of a Firing Key is of the US Firing Key Mark XVI which was used circa 1938 - ? and was used to fire naval turret guns like the 5" and 16". The firing key was mounted at the gun pointers station and was connected electrically to the firing mechanism on the breech of the gun. When the trigger on the firing key was pulled, it completed the circuit and ignited the primer, firing the gun.
I am assuming this item is an earlier version, 1918 or so vintage. I, and the volunteer staff operating the Museum, have been unable to locate, searching the web, any information on this particular version. What I'd like to obtain are copies of any Navy publications, manuals, diagrams, or photos showing this items history and use.

Thanks,

Bofud
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Is this the thing (about halfway down)?

http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/USNAVY/CHAPTER-5-B.html

Mike
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

As I said, and by your description, I presume that it is the mechanism used to fire a bagged charge. Surely it is inserted into the back of the breech block, and a cord bound to some form of trigger, so you pull the cord that pulls the trigger, and it detonates the explosive tube that goes in to the chamber thru the breech block.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It finally occurred to me to look in "Naval Ordnance" ("Naval Ordnance: A Textbook Prepared for the Use of the Midshipmen of the United States Naval Academy" - I have the 1939 edition). Sure enough, it has about 5 pages of descriptin of this and how it operated, together with colour diagrams.

Mike
Bofud

Re: Firing Key Mark XIV Mod 1 info? UPDATE...

Post by Bofud »

As you are finding out. this is is a difficult item to find.
To clarify what I am specifically looking for: The Firing LOCK is a mechanism actually attached to the breech, and is designed to fire the charge either electrically or by mechanical arm or lanyard. The Firing KEY is a handle with a finger-pull trigger mounted seperate from the gun barrel assembly at the Gun Pointer station.
The 1938/39 Ordnance manual I have seen shows a very good diagram of the Firing LOCK Mark XIV Mod 1, and has good illustrations of the Firing KEY Mark XVI Mod 1 ( a later version of the Mark version I am searching for). If you'll notice, this 1938/39 Firing Lock has the same Mark and Mod numbers as the Firing Key I am searching for, but it is a seperate component. Just adds to the confusion. By the looks of this item, (yes, I wish I'd obtained a photograph), I would guess it's closer to World War I manufacture, than World War II.
Thanks for all your responses!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

The 1917 edition of the Ordnance textbook might be worth a look.

Mike