sounds of US navy directors/turrets pointing/training?

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
jbudinoff

sounds of US navy directors/turrets pointing/training?

Post by jbudinoff »

hello all...first post and i am hoping there are some vets out there to help me.

I am trying to find out what US navy 5" and 40mm bofors mounts sounded like when slewing on automatic/director control. Did the motors and hydraulics whine? Same question for the mk51 directors, and the mark 37 5" directors as well....I've read several accounts of the directors "clicking". maybe a stupid question but it's one that i've had for a while. Anyone actually heard one of these batteries operating? or old footage with sound? help!

:think:
Bgile

Re: sounds of US navy directors/turrets pointing/training?

Post by Bgile »

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure we have anyone here who has ever been close to one of those weapons when they trained in power control. Eugene Slover in the navweaps forum might have.

I've spent a lot of time in an M60 tank turret, but I don't even remember what that sounded like. Most of the time the engine and other noise would have drowned it out, but I don't even remember a noise when the engine wasn't running. I remember the thermal sight system was noisy when it was on, and there must have been a noise when the turret moved, but I don't remember it. Maybe other turrets are the same way ... you just don't notice the noise unless it's really obnoxious.