German 52mm WW1 gun

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Gary

German 52mm WW1 gun

Post by Gary »

Hi all.

In WW1, The German navy mounted a 52mm (2 inch) gun as a secondary armament on its Emden sized light cruisers.
I assume that the designers considered this an effective anti torpedo boat weapon for its day.
Was it a successful weapon?
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
tommy303

Re: German 52mm WW1 gun

Post by tommy303 »

At the time it was considered a decent and adequate weapon (1900-1910), and it has fairly good ballistics, but on the whole, the 5,2cm was left behind as torpedo boats became larger and sturdier and when destroyers were introduced. By WW1 it was hopelessly inadequate as 7,5 to 8,8cm was consdered to be the minimum size needed for anti torpedo boat defence.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks Tommy
God created the world in 6 days.........and on the 7th day he built the Scharnhorst
Philopous

Post by Philopous »

I found your post quite by accident, I am currently researching the 55mm gun on the Emden as we have part of a shell cassing in our collection that is reputed to by off the Emden. Do you know of any web sites that show the dimensions of the round and an image of the gun type.

Any assistance will help. :cool: