British octuple 2-pdr pompom

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
RNfanDan
Supporter

British octuple 2-pdr pompom

Post by RNfanDan »

I am looking for specific information re: ammunition replenishment for the EARLY WAR 8-bbl (and possibly 4-bbl?) RN pompom mountings. I have ample material on hand about the weapons, including schematics, plan drawings, and details of the various "marks"; what I am looking for, is information regarding their method and procedure of ordnance replenishment. I am aware these weapons had interchangeable "racks", which guided belted rounds into the guns. My questions relate to these racks and their stowage, delivery, and loading.

1. Were the ammuntion racks pre-loaded with their belts, being swapped-out when empty with "fresh" racks?

2. If not #1, were fresh belts fed into the racks "in situ" as the previous belts were expended, i.e., the racks remaining in place on the weapon while this was being done?

3. Was replenishment ammunition brought up to these guns by nearby hoists, or were they supplied manually from magazines and/or handling rooms via two-legs method?

4. Were their RU lockers kept stocked on a continual basis during an air action, or left empty until later?

4. If each belt was 100 rounds, it would weigh well in excess of 300 pounds, far too heavy for one loader to manhandle. Yet, these weapons expended large quantities of rounds within a fairly short time, and during a lengthy air attack, some more efficient means of delivering the rounds to the weapons must have been devised. I just don't have that kind of information at hand, and would like to know more about their relevant logistics.

Any information is appreciated,

Thanks.

Dan
lwd

Re: British octuple 2-pdr pompom

Post by lwd »

In case you haven't checked there's some info at http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_2pounder_m8.htm
along with some sources at the bottom of that page.
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

RNfanDan wrote:I am looking for specific information re: ammunition replenishment for the EARLY WAR 8-bbl (and possibly 4-bbl?) RN pompom mountings.
Dan
The ammo was fed into the on-mount magazine tray via 14 round belts. The belts were designed so that they linked onto the last belt in the tray, and the guns could be reloaded as they fired, although probably not fast enough to prevent the gun from eventually running out of ammo. See:
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/br224/part4.htm#par471
for more info.

Also see:
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=23105
for video footage of men carrying the 14 round belts.
RNfanDan
Supporter

Post by RNfanDan »

Thank you, Mr. Munro!

Just prior to reading your post, it occurred to me to check the Pocket Gunnery Book, where I found the info I needed. However, that Pathe footage is especially valuable, and I greatly appreciate your reply!

I got from another source that these guns--in both 8- and 4-bbl mountings--used 100 rounds of ammo per feed-rack, but it gave no further information. The 14-clip belts make perfect sense, and on a secondary level, explain why there were no really large ammo lockers found near the octuple mountings on a certain ship I am researching.

Dan
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

RNfanDan wrote:Thank you, Mr. Munro!

Just prior to reading your post, it occurred to me to check the Pocket Gunnery Book, where I found the info I needed. However, that Pathe footage is especially valuable, and I greatly appreciate your reply!

I got from another source that these guns--in both 8- and 4-bbl mountings--used 100 rounds of ammo per feed-rack, but it gave no further information. The 14-clip belts make perfect sense, and on a secondary level, explain why there were no really large ammo lockers found near the octuple mountings on a certain ship I am researching.

Dan
No problem. You will note that the on-mount magazines always have their ammo load listed in multiples of 14. According to Campbell the single mount magazine held 56 rounds, the quad 112 rnd/gun and the octuple 140 rnd/gun although I have seen some sources that state 154.

cheers

Duncan
dunmunro

Post by dunmunro »

TRUE WEIGHT OF BOFORS AND POM-POM MOUNTINGS:

Octuple RPC pom-pom and 1200 rnds ammo = 17.55 tons
Quad RPC pom-pom and 400 rnds ammo = 9.50 tons
Quad RPC Bofors and 4.66 tons of ammo = 19.66 tons (about 1600 rnds)
Twin RPC Bofors and 2.32 tons of ammo = 10.32 tons (384 rnds per gun)
Bofors ammo also includes weight of ready use lockers.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/NAAMedia ... 0&S=42&T=R

Note how the provision of ready use ammo lockers drives up the weight of the Bofors mountings.