38 cm SK C/34 Rate of Fire

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Thorsten Wahl

38 cm SK C/34 Rate of Fire

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

according Unterlagen zur Bestimmung der Hauptkampfentfernung...
RoF 2 per minute

according "Vermerk für OB. d.M. Überschwere Kaliber für Kriegsschiffneubauten 06.11.1942 B.Nr. 7763-42 gKdos"

shot sequence in loading position 2,5° : 24 s
shot sequence at 15° elevation: 30 s
shot sequence at maximum elevation 30°: 35 s
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
alecsandros

Re: 38 cm SK C/34 Rate of Fire

Post by alecsandros »

However, the Baltic sea test footage shows these specifications have been surpassed in reality (18 seconds fire cycle)
Thorsten Wahl

Post by Thorsten Wahl »

the 18 sec cycle should refer to 4 gun part salvoes (Turmgruppen) as this division was a usual part of firing procedure.
were is the footage available?
Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!
alecsandros

Post by alecsandros »

Hi Thorsten,

Of course 2-turret salvos.

I should make a correction :oops:

All this time I thought the film footage with Bismarck was done while testing in the bay of Danzig. In my mind, the numbers from the AVKS-700, showing number of shells transported by the lifts, matched very good with the movie.

Of course I was wrong - the footage was done by Prinz Eugen while at Denmark Strait. :oops: :stubborn:

Anyway, here's a very good conversation about the film and the rates of fire it presents:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1662#p16863
It also includes link to youtube movie...