Explosion of shells

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
lwd

Re: Explosion of shells

Post by lwd »

If they had any sort of delay I would expect them to skip. If they were nose fused HE I'd expect them to detonate on impact.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

Gentlemen,
Thre have been reports of ships firing their heavy guns into the water against low flying aircraft, presumably trying to get the splash to bring them down, if this is true, would those shells have exploded or just skipped accross the water like a stone on a pond due to the low angle at which they were fired?
It would depend on range and the angle of the shell's impact on the water surface, not to mention the sea state itself. I am not sure how effective the tactic was on knocking down planes. I am aware of at least one which was damaged but not destroyed; I would expect the effects would be more psychological and damaging to the the pilot's concentration.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
lwd

Post by lwd »

tommy303 wrote:... I would expect the effects would be more psychological and damaging to the the pilot's concentration.
But wasn't that the most important point of any AA fire? Sure it's good to shoot down or even damage the attacking aircraft but if you get them to miss that's enough.
tommy303

Post by tommy303 »

But wasn't that the most important point of any AA fire? Sure it's good to shoot down or even damage the attacking aircraft but if you get them to miss that's enough.
Absolutely!

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Neoconshooter

Post by Neoconshooter »

paul.mercer wrote:Gentlemen,
Thre have been reports of ships firing their heavy guns into the water against low flying aircraft, presumably trying to get the splash to bring them down, if this is true, would those shells have exploded or just skipped accross the water like a stone on a pond due to the low angle at which they were fired?
Ricochets are a fact of life. They reduce the projectiles energy. Reducing the energy reduces the damage done. Period! Reduced velocity reduces damage. Double shotting the guns causes twice as much damage because it makes two holes in the same side of the ship AT RANGES CLOSE ENOUGH TO PERFORATE THE HULL and makes two damage tracks inside the target where it takes an insignificant amount of energy to create a wound. Higher velocity single shot makes only one track and one hole because it would not perforate the far side of the ship's hull. At very close range Grape shot was preferred because it made nine to twelve holes and subsequent damage tracks.