Bismarck Main Turrets

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Kit-Builder

Bismarck Main Turrets

Post by Kit-Builder »

G'Day everyone,
How would I tell port from starboard if I was looking at the Bismarck head on? The reason for this is that while studying “Anatomy of…….Bismarck” I’ve got conflicting drawings of the main turrets (p102 and p110) that are mirrored to the vast array of online photos of all 4 turrets. One side has the two separate armored covers for the sights and the other has a shared central track for the covers. The rear turrets online photos are not mirrored due to the great big vent behind “Casar” on the starboard side lower bridge deck.
I think it just got stuffed up in the apparent rush to get the book out (the more I study this, the more suspect it becomes). Also the lower front plate tapers in to the bottom from the center, 10cm in 1:1 scale, is that correct?

It’s not easy building a 1:100 turret mock-up (the 1:100 Bismarck is looking more and more like the ship that we’ll build :shock:) if I can’t validate the drawings in the book.
Anyway thank you all for reading or replying, Steve

Does anyone know of “Fare Usage” rulings regarding copy-write laws? This is where the law is waved if the pic or text is used for study purposes. I know this applies to armored modeling sites but I’m not sure about here (hence no scan of the offending drawings).
“cowards flee a brave man’s fate”
"Feiglinge fliehen das Schicksal eines tapferen Mannes"
Bgile

Post by Bgile »

Your question confuses me:

"How would I tell port from starboard if I was looking at the Bismarck head on?".

I must be missing something, since the answer seems obvious.
Kit-Builder

Post by Kit-Builder »

G’Day Bgile, the question is….
How could I tell if the image that I’m looking at is a mirror (flipped) image or not if I’m looking at the Bismarck heading towards me? Is there some unique characteristic on either side of the ship that I can use to orientate the image?
I know that there is not much “left” in a bottle of “port” so that was not my question and I’m sorry for the confusion :oops: :oops:.
Thanks for posting, Steve
Antonio Bonomi

Bismarcl images

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Steve and all,

the easiest way to orientate the images on Bismarck and Tirpitz as well as any other KM battleship is looking at the anchors.

The layout of the anchors both forward ( on the bow ) and on the stern do are unique on every KM ship, and allows you to properly look at the photos.

This of course is valid when you have a side or stern photo, more difficult in case of front photos ( especially on symmetric ships like BS and TP ).

In many cases the cranes do work as well,.. but it requires you to know perfectly the single ship technical evolution.

It seems to me that you are just entering the world of 'many' mistakes, wrong captions and photo orientation, .. well I know something about it myself.

If you can send me the photo you are referring to I will see what I can do to help you.

Ciao Antonio :D
Kit-Builder

Post by Kit-Builder »

Thanks Antonio I will e-mail you soon. You have been very busy with the Tirpitz history and I don’t wish to impose too much on your time so I will make it very quick questions for you.
Regards Steve
Antonio Bonomi

Bismarck photos

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao Steve and all,

Thanks for you fairness :D

Do not worry, for me Tirpitz history is a pleasure and a well know argument, she is my favourite ship since 33 years :wink:

... still I learn every day about her, as well as for all the other ships, .. that is the fun .... :D

Ciao Antonio :D