Gun depression and self harm

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Wello

Gun depression and self harm

Post by Wello »

I've just one more quick query (after the startlingly speedy response to my last one!).

This one has also had me wondering for a while.

It again relates to Yamato, but I've seen a similar set up on other ships.

The foremost main battery, when aimed directly foreward with no elevation (or heaven forbid, full depression), would appear to have the ability to blow the bow of the ship.

Was there any mechanism (apart from a strong sense of self preservation) that prevented this happening? From what I gather, most gunhouses/turrets (at least the primary and secondaries) were designed in a manner to prevent them rotating far enough to hit the superstructure.

But not sure about the bow.. or the stern in some instances (again, with the Yamato it appears you could take out the aviation cranes fairly readily).

I am sure the gun crews were well trained, and given it's not just one person firing the thing, the chances would be minimal of this ocurring (as SOMEONE would notice what was happening). But still mistakes do happen.

Apologies if this is a blindingly obvious question. But I don't really have many naval contacts to ask!
tommy303

Re: Gun depression and self harm

Post by tommy303 »

There was an interrupter circuit to prevent A turret from firing ahead at too low a depression to clear the bow. It essentially prevented the firing circuit from closing.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood and Earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned these defended;
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Wello

Re: Gun depression and self harm

Post by Wello »

Thanks for that tommy303,

I had suspected there would be SOMETHING apart from human intervention. But just was not 100% positive.

Have a good one!