Retarded fire in Bismarck main turrets?

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Hartmann10

Retarded fire in Bismarck main turrets?

Post by Hartmann10 »

Hello to all. I have a question regarding this: Does anyone know if the guns of a same turret in the "Bismarck" have retarded fire as in the central gun of multiple gun turrets like "Iowa", "KGV" or "Richelieu" as examples?. Thanks in advance to all people. :wink:
Bgile

Re: Retarded fire in Bismarck main turrets?

Post by Bgile »

Hartmann10 wrote:Hello to all. I have a question regarding this: Does anyone know if the guns of a same turret in the "Bismarck" have retarded fire as in the central gun of multiple gun turrets like "Iowa", "KGV" or "Richelieu" as examples?. Thanks in advance to all people. :wink:
By "retarded fire" you mean a short delay (thousanths of a second) in the firing of the center gun to prevent shell interference in flight? You don't usually want to do that with twin turrets because the first round slews the turret azimuth slightly (off center).

As far as I know, noone did that except the US. The British fired salvoes with half the guns in each turret, so that would alleviate any interference between adjacent guns. I don't know how the French did it but suspect similar to British.
Hartmann10

Post by Hartmann10 »

By "retarded fire" you mean a short delay (thousanths of a second) in the firing of the center gun to prevent shell interference in flight? You don't usually want to do that with twin turrets because the first round slews the turret azimuth slightly (off center).
Yes, I didn´t know how to define "short delay" :oops: . Well, the USA and Japan (with the yamato) made it, but I didn´t know if Germany has made It (it was nonsense by me because I have no data about short delays in twin turrets, but I didn´t).
A lot of thanks bgile :wink: