Torpedo launchers

Guns, torpedoes, mines, bombs, missiles, ammunition, fire control, radars, and electronic warfare.
Javier L.

Torpedo launchers

Post by Javier L. »

Many warships had torpedo launchers in the upper deck such as the German Panzerschiffe for example. Isn't it dangerous? What can happen if a torpedo launcher mounted on deck is hit by a heavy shell? And what are the pros and cons of having torpedo launchers installed on deck or underwater?
Tiornu
Supporter

Re: Torpedo launchers

Post by Tiornu »

I have not read of many cases in which the torpedo warheads caused problems.
However, there is one concern that warrants special notice. The Japanese had large torpedo batteries on their heavy cruisers. Not only would these warheads be exposed, but with the adoption of the Type 93 Long Lance torpedo, there would also be flasks filled with oxygen--and this definitely proved a problem. It happened repeatedly during the war that a heavy cruiser was seriously damaged or even sunk when battle damage affected the torpedo battery. The best example is Suzuya--sunk by a bomb that didn't even hit her. A splinter started a fire in her torpedoes, and that was her end. You may often read about the successes of the Japanese CA torpedoes in Java Sea, Sunda Strait, and Savo Island. But after that, the only ships sunk both those torpedoes were Japanese CAs.
I have often mused on the topic of Oi and Kitakami, light cruisers converted to carry forty Long Lances into battle. I would NOT want to be on one of those ships!
Javier L.

Post by Javier L. »

Thank you Tiornu. I don't know of cases in which torpedo warheads caused problems either, but I guess this is because there were not many episodes of this kind except for the Japanese you mentioned. I was thinking of the Battle of the River Plate and what could have happened to the Graf Spee if one 8-inch shell from the Exeter had hit the torpedo tubes astern. Could we expect a massive explosion?
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

The historical record would seem to indicate it was unlikely, if not impossible.