Engine noise

Propulsion systems, machinery, turbines, boilers, propellers, fuel consumption, etc.
Patrick van der Lans

Engine noise

Post by Patrick van der Lans »

Hi there,

First of all I would like to say what a wonderfull site this is about a wonderfull ship. I'm searching for information on the engine noise Bismarck would have made.

I want to build a 1:100 model and the engine noise can't be missed in my opinion. I know Bismarck was driven by steam turbines fueled by oil. Could these engines sound something like the modern navy gas turbines.

This would be like a sissing noise (somewhat like a vacuumcleaner) with a low noise rumble added to the sound to account for all the heavy rotating parts of the engine.

Or am I wrong and how would Bismarck have sounded like in that case?

Patrick van der Lans.
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

The sound of a ship when you're on deck is mostly the ventilation pumps and boiler intakes, plus various other pieces of equipment. I cannot recall actually hearing a ship when I wasn't on it?
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Hello Patrick and welcome aboard,

This is an excerpt from an interview made to Bismarck survivor Bruno Rzonca a few months before he passed away.
Interviewer: Could you hear the ship's engines running?

Bruno: The main engines were two decks below my station and I couldn't hear the engines running anywhere on the ship.
http://www.kbismarck.com/crew/interview-brzonca.html

José