Got to be kidding

Military News and current conflicts. Middle East, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.
Dave Saxton
Supporter

Got to be kidding

Postby Dave Saxton » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:36 am

It's not April 1st yet, so I guess not. Once again I'm just speechless at this president's stupidity. Maybe we should make fighting Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy priorities too?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... climate-c/
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.

Steve-M

Re: Got to be kidding

Postby Steve-M » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:59 pm

I would suggest that the climate change aspect is more PR than anything else. More efficient equipment, so long as it doesn't compromise performance, is always desirable as fuel may not always be plentiful, particularly at a local level. It's also good in that it reduces logistical requirements, which is a crucial consideration in any conflict far away from home. Now if they start saying we can't bomb ISIS because the carbon emissions would be too great, that's another story.

Dave Saxton
Supporter

Postby Dave Saxton » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:31 pm

Steve-M wrote:I would suggest that the climate change aspect is more PR than anything else. More efficient equipment, so long as it doesn't compromise performance, is always desirable as fuel may not always be plentiful, particularly at a local level. It's also good in that it reduces logistical requirements, which is a crucial consideration in any conflict far away from home. Now if they start saying we can't bomb ISIS because the carbon emissions would be too great, that's another story.

It's already happened in some ways:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... -oil-wells

It's just idiotic, and goes to Obama's nonsense about climate change being the biggest threat ever faced by mankind.

Let us hope this doesn't mean the military will need to start utilizing so called renewable energy. These are very inefficient and very unreliable sources of energy.

Or let us hope there's no curtailing operations or readiness to limit harmless c02 emissions.
Entering a night sea battle is an awesome business.The enveloping darkness, hiding the enemy's.. seems a living thing, malignant and oppressive.Swishing water at the bow and stern mark an inexorable advance toward an unknown destiny.

Byron Angel

Postby Byron Angel » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:09 am

I have it on very good authority that future "Obama" class warships now in the design process will feature a return to a square-rigged wind-powered sail-based propulsion system which takes advantage of numerous state of the art technical advances. Great improvements in operating economy are promised.

B

Steve-M

Postby Steve-M » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:11 pm

Dave Saxton wrote:It's already happened in some ways:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... -oil-wells

I'd consider that a matter of long term strategic planning. We can bomb the wells, but whose going to foot the bill to clean everything up after the fact? How many more refugees do you create, both due to the economics of eliminating the wells in addition to the environmental consequences? It's cool to say we have to bomb the crap out of ISIS, but we have to be ready for what happens when ISIS is defeated. It's more or less similar to what happened with the Iraq occupation. We knocked out much of their infrastructure, which massively degraded the Iraqi capability to wage war. OTOH, it's made post-war Iraq a gigantic mess, and that has certainly contributed to the woes currently afflicting the region.

Dave Saxton
Supporter

Postby Dave Saxton » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:35 pm

I would not give Obama that much credit for war planning:

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavli ... e-n2144666

He is fighting the wrong war. He's fighting an unneeded, futile, and very expensive war, against a very minor, if that, threat, while not taking Islamic Terrorism seriously.

RF

Postby RF » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Give it another nine months..... and Obama is history.

Lets see what President Trump would do with these orders......
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.

Return to “Military Conflicts Today”