US fleet on it's way to Costa Rica

Military News and current conflicts. Middle East, Syria, Ukraine, etc.
Karl Heidenreich

US fleet on it's way to Costa Rica

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Well, our politicians finally accepted that a civilist country cannot fight the narco cartel violence and trade. In the frame of a mutual help treaty the US is sending a quite powerful fleet to Costa Rica in order to fight off the narco leftist vermin.

In this fleet we have:

USS Makin Island, LHD 8, brand new with a displacement of 41,335 tons full.
USS Champion, MCM 4, 1,367 tons
USCGC Bertholf, 4,500 tons
USCGC Waesche, 4,607 tons

that part of a force of 7,000 marines, some 200 choppers, 10 Harriers, and some other 42 vessels.

I think they mean business with that class of battle order. Of course, it will be better if they treat the issue as a war instead of law enforcement.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Re: US fleet on it's way to Costa Rica

Post by RF »

OK, lets see what they do.

Will Obama show the same sort of aggression as he did against BP? Or will it be the same sort of aggression as against Andarko Petroleum, the US oil company who own 25% of the Deepwater Horizon exploded well?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
Karl Heidenreich

I don't think this is Obama's idea because it is clever and necesary. He is wasting his time trying to convert US in USSR with a Kennedy instead of Lenin as prophet.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

As Commander in Chief the US forces cannot be commited without Obama's express order, can they not?
Karl Heidenreich

RF,

You are correct. But it's likely that someone told him to sign the order, maybe Obama thought he was invading Puerto Rico...
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

Interesting that you mention Puerto Rico; I believe that it was mooted by the Carter administration that Puerto Rico be made the 51st state. However it appears there was no widespread demand for statehood so nothing happened...

In the meantime what is happening with Costa Rica?
Karl Heidenreich

RF:

Not much. In Costa Rica we have a Constitutional Review Judges that are now deciding if the Treaty between Costa Rica and the US allows or not the presence in territorial waters of Navy ships (as the Iwo Jima and such). This because some senators (diputados) from our own left wing parties elevated the issue to them (the judges). While this is happening the drug dealers are happy enough.
For example, today a small airplene crashed while flying INTO a river cannon in the middle of our capitol city, San Jose. When rescuers came to the site they found that the two seater was full of drugs.
Our President is asking more help, anyway, from the US. As she see it, the US MUST help because all that drug is going to the US being that country the greatest drug consumer of the world.

I hope that if the Judges find everything OK we will have the fleet operating almost instantly. Of course the fleet will work as a police force and not as a full wartime military force, so it's effectivity will be handicaped in about 50 or more percent.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

If the drugs trafficking is clearly on a large scale then Ipresume the DEA and CIA in the US will find ways of dealing with it, irrespective of who is US President or what Costa Rican judges say.
Karl Heidenreich

RF,

I have the feeling they (the US) are losing the game.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

So it was under Carter. All that is needed is a strong, decisive leader to follow.......
Karl Heidenreich

Ronald Reagan is dead. The US lacks of a leader right now. Only the islamists and comunists have Obama as a searchlight for their evil purposes.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Post by RF »

I think that if Ronald Reagan were still alive, he would be out of it anyway on age grounds. No, the US needs a new, young leader. The US electorate in 2012 will have to decide whether Obama is past his sell by date.
lwd

Post by lwd »

RF wrote:Interesting that you mention Puerto Rico; I believe that it was mooted by the Carter administration that Puerto Rico be made the 51st state. However it appears there was no widespread demand for statehood so nothing happened...
That's come up a fair number of times. I believe that the population is roughly split into three sort of equal groups: proindendence, prostatehood, and procommonwealth. The latter may actually be the largest and the number vary somewhat over time but it's been this way for quite a period of time.
RF

Post by RF »

lwd, what are the advantages of being in ''commonwealth'' - as I see it they are part of the US but don't get to vote for the President, why would they want to remain disenfranchised in that respect?
lwd

Post by lwd »

Not only do they not get to vote for president but their reps in Congress are non voting ones. The ACW also made it pretty clear that statehood is a rather permanent decision. The write up here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico#Commonwealth seems to be pretty good. Note it looks to me like most citizens of Puerto Rico may not have to pay federal income tax.