The civil war in Syria

Military News and current conflicts. Middle East, Syria, Ukraine, etc.
RF

The civil war in Syria

Post by RF »

Given the prominence of this topic in western media coverage I am a little surprised that no one so far has raised this as an issue on this forum.

Leaving aside the matter of the alleged use of chemical weapons. it would seem that this war is now in stalemate. That would suggest to me that the regime of Bashir-al Assad and Ba'athism will ultimately fall, because it can't win.

The question then is - what replaces it?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
aurora

Re: The civil war in Syria

Post by aurora »

Your post of about a fortnight ago RF posed a question-is the answer given herein???

Islamic State fighters have exploited the chaos of Syria's three-year-old civil war, which pits Assad and his allies against mainly Sunni Muslim rebels and Islamist militants, to carve out territory in the country's eastern provinces.

Qatar, which has sent cash and arms to rebels fighting Assad, also supported the U.S. strikes against Islamic State, contributing one plane on the first night of attacks on Tuesday.Other U.S. allies Jordan, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia have joined in the strikes. All are ruled by Sunni Muslims and are opponents of Assad, a member of a Shi'ite-derived sect, and his main regional ally, Shi'ite Iran.

aurora
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

aurora wrote:Your post of about a fortnight ago RF posed a question-is the answer given herein???

Islamic State fighters have exploited the chaos of Syria's three-year-old civil war, which pits Assad and his allies against mainly Sunni Muslim rebels and Islamist militants, to carve out territory in the country's eastern provinces.

Qatar, which has sent cash and arms to rebels fighting Assad, also supported the U.S. strikes against Islamic State, contributing one plane on the first night of attacks on Tuesday.Other U.S. allies Jordan, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia have joined in the strikes. All are ruled by Sunni Muslims and are opponents of Assad, a member of a Shi'ite-derived sect, and his main regional ally, Shi'ite Iran.

aurora
Didn't you conveniently leave out the Iraqi regime in Bagdad, also supported by Iran?
aurora

Post by aurora »

The Telegraph Sat.29th Nov.2014

Despite most of the Syrian capital being free of conflict, the Christian Old City of
Damascus still reverberates with the sound of war.For more details use link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... world.html

Jim
RF

Post by RF »

The recent speech and admissions by Assad suggests to me that this war is approaching the endgame, at least as far as the continuance of the Ba'ath regime is concerned.

Once he is gone, no doubt there will be a new civil war, as the victors fight over the spoils.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
aurora

Post by aurora »

The US are making one helluvs mess with their air strikes-more and more civilian deaths today

aurora

Jim