Naval Weapons of World War I: Stand up and be counted

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
Tiornu
Supporter

Naval Weapons of World War I: Stand up and be counted

Post by Tiornu »

Yes, the manuscript for John Campbell's book Naval Weapons of World War ONE does exist. I can't tell you how complete the manuscript is in its current form, but you will probably never see it in any form unless you convince Conway Maritime Press that there's a demand.
The following was posted by mike1880 on another board:

Conway is currently owned by Anova Books but the URL is still Chrysalis ((http://www.chrysalisbooks.co.uk/contact.jsp):

Anova Books
151 Freston Road
London W10 6TH
UK
Switchboard: 020 7314 1400 (that's +44 207 314 1400 from outside UK)
Fax: +44 207 314 1594
email info@anovabooks.com

Marketing and Publicity Manager for Conways:

Komal Patel
Marketing & Publicity Manager
Batsford, Conway & Direct Mail
tel: +44 (0)20 7314 1466
info@anovabooks.com

Please email and/or write to them and encourage them to do something about getting this book published.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Hi, Tiornu.

Very nice of you to bring this to my attention. I'll write an email to them and advise all other WWI-enthusiasts in here to do the exact same thing.

Best regards
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Yes, please spread the word. The best way to get the book to completion is to prove there are customers.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Already done!
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Done too.
Karl Heidenreich

Hi guys:

I got a reply from the marketing department and because it concern all whom had wrote to them I post it here:
Please confirm where you have read this information. Also I would be grateful if you can post on this website/forum not to email me personally with regards to the supposed unpublished manuscript for Naval Weapons of WW1. I work in the sales and marketing department of Anova Books and not Conway editorial.

Any queries regarding editorial or publishing questions on this subject need to be directed to info@anovabooks.com and will be forwarded to the correct Editorial department.

Please delete my name and email address as a contact on your forum.

Many thanks

Miss Komal Patel

Komal Patel

Direct Marketing & Publicity Manager

Anova Books (formerly Chrysalis Books Group)

151 Freston Road

London

W10 6TH
Well, let´s redirect our queries to the new address.

Best regards.
Sir Winston Churchill
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

I don't believe I can edit my post, but if Jose would like to do so and remove the superfluous e-mail address, that would be fine with me.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

I have received this answer by mail. Complying with the sender´s wishes, I posted it here completely.

Dear Sirs,

Please accept our thanks for the series of e-mails received in support of the posthumous publication of Naval Weapons of World War I by John Campbell. Such a level of interest and support for a publication does underline the opinion we already have of John Campbell’s reputation and his previously published volumes. It also sends a clear message from the readership to the publishers which is of course much appreciated. I would be most obliged if this communication could be posted (in its entirety) onto the web forums and discussion boards where the question originally arose.

I can assure you all that we will now take the necessary time to assess the situation regarding potential publication of the book. This will include an approach to John’s family and an assessment of what would be required to get the book to press (i.e. how much work, if any, is required to complete the manuscript and drawings for the book: if work is needed then who would be capable of completing it?). We would then need to put the book through the standard financial and budgeting processes at Conway which (as with all Conway titles) also involves an appraisal of the international market and commercial demand for the book. The publication of a volume of this scope is of course a huge financial undertaking. Should this appraisal process be successful we would then recruit and appoint a rigorous and suitable editor to move the book forward.

I will report back on progress made on the above in the coming months. Should other members of the various forums cited wish to be included in future e-mails updates please send an e-mail labelled “Naval Weapons of World War I” to Conway@anovabooks.com

Please accept my thanks for all of the e-mails in support of publication. At Conway, we will do our best to try to get this project moving in the right direction and ensure John Campbell’s work reaches the readership it deserves.

On related, I am pleased to confirm that we are currently reprinting Naval Weapons of World War II and stock should be available from late April 2007.

Yours faithfully,

John Lee
Publisher

Conway
A publishing division of the Anova Books Group
151 Freston Rd, London W10 6TH
http://www.anovabooks.com
http://www.conwaymaritime.com
Karl Heidenreich

I received the following answer:
Dear Sirs,

Please accept our thanks for the series of e-mails received in support of the posthumous publication of Naval Weapons of World War I by John Campbell. Such a level of interest and support for a publication does underline the opinion we already have of John Campbell’s reputation and his previously published volumes. It also sends a clear message from the readership to the publishers which is of course much appreciated. I would be most obliged if this communication could be posted (in its entirety) onto the web forums and discussion boards where the question originally arose.

I can assure you all that we will now take the necessary time to assess the situation regarding potential publication of the book. This will include an approach to John’s family and an assessment of what would be required to get the book to press (i.e. how much work, if any, is required to complete the manuscript and drawings for the book: if work is needed then who would be capable of completing it?). We would then need to put the book through the standard financial and budgeting processes at Conway which (as with all Conway titles) also involves an appraisal of the international market and commercial demand for the book. The publication of a volume of this scope is of course a huge financial undertaking. Should this appraisal process be successful we would then recruit and appoint a rigorous and suitable editor to move the book forward.

I will report back on progress made on the above in the coming months. Should other members of the various forums cited wish to be included in future e-mails updates please send an e-mail labelled “Naval Weapons of World War I” to Conway@anovabooks.com

Please accept my thanks for all of the e-mails in support of publication. At Conway, we will do our best to try to get this project moving in the right direction and ensure John Campbell’s work reaches the readership it deserves.

On related, I am pleased to confirm that we are currently reprinting Naval Weapons of World War II and stock should be available from late April 2007.

Yours faithfully,

John Lee
Publisher

Conway
A publishing division of the Anova Books Group
151 Freston Rd, London W10 6TH
http://www.anovabooks.com
http://www.conwaymaritime.com

Sir Winston Churchill
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

This is an important step. John Lee is the head honcho, so if he has taken the time to sign a reponse, that means Conway knows there is a demand for this product. Go ahead and continue looking for others who are interested enough to use the knew contact information. We don't want to sit back and think the mission is complete.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

It would be nice if the work is published. What must be understood, is that AFAIK this is the only work on the subject. And the signature of the late John Campbell puts more credibility on the info contained.
Karl Heidenreich

No news?
Sir Winston Churchill
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

Well, there were quite a few preparations to be done... :think: Editing the script, making market analysis and such... Takes time, you know. And I have great fear what that market analysis brings forwards. Especially if you, me, Tiornu and Marcelo are the only ones interested :pray:
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

I believe that it would sell the same run that Dreadnought Gunnery at the Battle of Jutland.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

The original print run for Dreadnought Gunnery was something absurd like 4-600 copies. Then Routledge charged a hundred bucks for it. Is that stupid or what?
If I hear anything about the Campbell, I'll let you know. Things do not happen quickly in the publishing world. Lots of people have written in, but that's no guarantee. Continue to spread the word.