FYI: Nazi Ghost Ship Found

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
gleason

FYI: Nazi Ghost Ship Found

Post by gleason »

Nazi Ghost Ship Found
http://ng.chtah.com/a/tBCCPAYASJ4TXAVT2 ... EJvRv/ngs9

Watch an online mini-movie on the recent discovery
and chilling history of a World War II liner that took
4,500 people to a watery grave.
Gleason Sackmann
turlock

Nazi ghost ship

Post by turlock »

The only book I ever read on the sinkings of the General von Steuben, Wilhelm Gustloff and Goya was called "The Cruelest Night". At the time that book was published no one really knew the true number of lives lost on any of the three. Estimates were 6 to 10,000 and seemed to point to the latter area. Two of them were sunk by a Soviet sub, S-13 I believe.
It is sad that these three, generally considered to be the worst maritime disasters ever, have been largely lost to the oblivion of history.
Tiornu
Supporter

Re: Nazi ghost ship

Post by Tiornu »

Goya was sunk by L-3 (Konovalov). Steuben and Gustloff were sunk by S-13 (Marinesko).
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

I really don't think that the headline of "NAZI ghost ship" adds much to this great calamity, and certainly not to the understanding of the "forgotten" history of my WWII generation, such as the sinking of refugee ships or my expulsion from my homeland. As history verifies over and over again, and even today: all is "moral" in total war when dictators and presidents say so. It makes me sick!
Ulrich