Top 10 Missing Naval Books

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
wfzimmerman

Top 10 Missing Naval Books

Post by wfzimmerman »

Hi,

the US computer publisher O'Reilly has made a nice niche for itself with it's "Missing Manual" books--the Missing Manual for Iphone, etc.

this gave me an idea.

What are 10 "missing naval books" that have never been written but should be?

--Fred
marcelo_malara

Re: Top 10 Missing Naval Books

Post by marcelo_malara »

My top five:

1-Armouring systems and protection schemes for dreadnoughts (I think that there is someone here who can write it!)

2-Warships´s boilers and machinery.

3-Naval radar (same as 1).

4-Naval weapons of WWI (extant but unpublished)

5-Naval guns and ammo (there is a Big Gun: Battleship Main Armament, 1860-1945 , but if the theme can be expanded would be better)

The list can be completed with some AOTS: Scharnhorst, Prinz Eugen, KGV, Bismarck (a much reviewed edition) and one of the strange gun distribution battleship (Nelson or Dunkirk).
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

With DK Brown's passing, the new Campbell book has become less likely. I'm currently in damage-control mode. I don't know how successful I'll be.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Hi Tiornu:

David Brown passed?
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Yes, a few months ago. Very sad.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

I am sorry to hear this. He is one of my favorite naval authors, and certainly one of the greatest of these years, along with Campbell, Friedman, Roberts and others. Let his soul sail the sea of eternity.

By the way, what do you mean with "I'm currently in damage-control mode"?
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

I'm trying to salvage the project. I think it's a book a lot of people would want to see.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Good luck then on that!!!
RF

Post by RF »

You could also compile a list of the top ten missing naval books missing because they are out of print and now almost completely unobtainable, not even from libraries. Having been interested in military history since the 1970's I could, if I had the time, probably compile a top 100.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
wfzimmerman

Post by wfzimmerman »

RF wrote:You could also compile a list of the top ten missing naval books missing because they are out of print and now almost completely unobtainable, not even from libraries. Having been interested in military history since the 1970's I could, if I had the time, probably compile a top 100.
How about a top 5, right away? I'll look into them...
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

That´s why when I see a book that looks interesting I inmediately buy it...no matter if I am not going to read it soon. I learned the lesson.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

"Modern history of Warships" was written in the 20´s by Hovgaard, a foreign naval architect (Dutch?, Danish?) working in the US. It was reprinted two or three times by Conway´s, you can get a used reprint at an affordable price. Very good. I have also a book named "The black battlefleet", a reprint of a bunch of articles issued in "The mariner mirror" by the turn of the century about the first British iron and steam warships.
USS ALASKA

Post by USS ALASKA »

marcelo_malara wrote:That´s why when I see a book that looks interesting I inmediately buy it...no matter if I am not going to read it soon. I learned the lesson.
Fortunately or unfortunately, I’m a cheap SoB when it comes to books. With the advent of the internet, I’m always looking for that cheapest deal, and have not acquired some of the books I desire as a result. However, I have been able to acquire more books than I would have otherwise been able to because of this. Not sure if I’m ahead or behind with this strategy – I'll probably figure it out when it’s too late…by the way, anyone looking to buy books, I can recommend http://www.edwardrhamilton.com/ Takes me hours to go through the lists but the result is worth it. One price for shipping - $3.50 – if you order one book or 100. My mailman hates me when I order 60 lbs worth. A while ago, I picked up Roberts ‘”Battlecruiser” book for about $5.00. That was worth my time and effort.
wfzimmerman wrote:OK -- next step -- does anyone have contact info for any of these authors? or are there any books published before 1922 that are worthy?
Question sir – aren’t a lot of books published before 1922 on open source web sites like Google Books? Are there enough people who wish to own the artifact instead of downloading the pdf file to make printing a worthwhile venture for you? Books like Hovgaard’s http://books.google.com/books?id=VoprAA ... q=&f=false