The Battleship Bismarck. Anatomy of the Ship. By Jack Brower

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Thanks for the scans Marty. I see my Bismarck e-book is listed there too.
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

Finally I received my copy yesterday. I am a little dissapointed.
In first place it is announced in Amazon as a 256 pages book (like Dreadnought), but it has only 160. In my opinion are missing:

-boiler schemes.
-machinery schemes.
-frame construction and skin schemes.
-steering machinery arrangements.
-perspective views of the superstructure, as that found in Dreadnought (I think they are not hard to do in these 3D_computer_models days).

Sorry for the author, that I undestand did a tremendous jobs and is a reader of this forum, but I believe that the most famous warship ever and all those who died in it deserved a better efort.
Kit-Builder

Post by Kit-Builder »

Well after some hours with this book I’d have to say it complements what is currently available on the internet. There are obviously some things that have been under explored and this is to the detriment of the non-model builder.
The 6 pages on the aircraft hangers may be a mystery to the non-builder but are a blessing to those that are building a 1:350/1:700 kit and have no real desire to pay for expensive (in relation to the cost of a one ship building program) line drawings from Germany and Australia.
I was impressed with the 10 pages of drawings and info on the “Anton” turret. The book could have given 1 page to either “Bruno” or “Cesar” as I understand there are small differences in these turrets to the other two. Also the drawing of Anton with the local range finders attached could have been more accurate in the area of the “ears/wings”. The protective doors on the ears extended below the curve the same as Bruno and there are pipes and grab-rails(?) between the ear's door and the turret proper. The photos that I used to critique the turret drawings are readily available to us on the internet and I felt it was a sloppy omission.

Flak/AAA weapons have good coverage as do the Bismarck’s various fire control units. I’m sure this book (along with the internet) will give the beginner a good appreciation of the Bismarck and in conjunction with other very expensive reference sources the expert will not be overly upset either.
Thank you my loving woman for the grate gift :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol:.
Regards to you all, Steve
“cowards flee a brave man’s fate”
"Feiglinge fliehen das Schicksal eines tapferen Mannes"
Kit-Builder

Post by Kit-Builder »

That would be "great gift" not "grate gift".
Dyslexia can be a cruel companion :oops:.
Steve
ontheslipway
Supporter

Post by ontheslipway »

in conjunction with other very expensive reference sources the expert will not be overly upset either
Yes they are... It's purely a beginners book. There is nothing new or particularly special about the AOTS volume. I think you'd be better of with the polish (AJ press) drawings.
Kit-Builder

Post by Kit-Builder »

G'Day mate,
Sadly this is looking to be the case (all the faults in the cover artwork should be a warning in advance :shock: :shock:). The upside is that it’s a treasured gift that was very thoughtfully given to me. I’m trying to make use of it now (1:100 Turret) and I’m finding inconsistencies to stop me until the AJ books arrive :stubborn:. I'll also get a big scale plan set too.
Thanks foeth, for your comments, Steve

Here’s a glimpse into the future (Tamiya and me :think:)
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Ehy Steve, are you using a polystyrene sheet isn't it?How thick?
"Wir kämpfen bis zur letzten Granate."

Günther Lütjens
Kit-Builder

Post by Kit-Builder »

G’Day all,
Matthias, yes it’s evergreen again like on the Tamiya Bismarck.
The disc is 1.0mm thick and the base plate/turret floor is 0.75mm.
0.75mm is the best for this as it is strong but flexible too. Today I have been building an internal frame for the turret plating to glue to and give it a correct shape. The only really way to understand things is to build something so you mus try it and we can help you along (just look at Antonio’s super-models here to see how much help is here for you :shock: :shock:).

Well Back to work for me now :( :( ,
Regards Steve

I'll post up-dates on the 1:100 turret in the modelling area later :angel:.