Robert Massie's "Castles of Steel"

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
Kyler

Robert Massie's "Castles of Steel"

Post by Kyler »

I have recently completed Robert Massie's "Castles of Steel: Naval History of World War I." Overall it is an excellent book that both covers the military and political views of the overall naval conflict. The books takes mostly of the view of the British, with Jellicoe, Beatty, Fisher, and Churchill being the main focus of much of the material. There are sections also that cover German commanders like Hipper but to much of a less case then the RN with exception of the Battle of the Falklands and its background. Anyone looking for a straight book from a seaman would probably not like this book since the political maneuvering that took place between the leaders behinds the scenes is constant focus throughout the whole book.

I am currently reading "Dreadnought" and will give my impressions of that book when it is completed.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
USS ALASKA

Re: Robert Massie's "Castles of Steel"

Post by USS ALASKA »

If you enjoy Massie's treatment of the North Sea naval situation prior to and through WWI, you might enjoy Paul G. Halpern's "The Mediterranean Naval Situation, 1908-1914" and "Naval War in the Mediterranean 1914-1918". They do for the Med what Massie’s do for the waters north. In fact, you really can’t go wrong with any of Halpern’s books if you like WW I naval history.