Naval History Books

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Naval History Books

Post by José M. Rico »

Hello all,

I have been redesigning the entire book section of the website for the last couple of days, and that is now to be found here:

http://www.kbismarck.org/navalbooks.html

I'm still adding new titles so if you would like to suggest good books that I may have missed please do.

Regards to all,

José
hammy

Re: Naval History Books

Post by hammy »

Hi Jose ( and Happy Christmas to you ! ) ,

The site looks nice ,

1 ) - Could you add a line to the book "Aircraft Carriers" by Roger Chesneau to say that it is a sister volume to the three covering Battleships , Cruisers and Destroyers by MJ Whitley , ie the four books are a "set" all in the same format .

2 ) - For some of the books you show you dont have a review posted ( yet ? ) I have got some of those or have studied them in the past , would you like some draft reviews from me ?

Best wishes and thank you for all the hard work , H .
" Relax ! No-one else is going to be fool enough to be sailing about in this fog ."
RF

Post by RF »

Could I recommend the book about the Wolf, detailed in another thread in this section, for your list? Also the Raider Kormoran by Theodor Detmers, although I suspect that book is now out of print.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Post by lwd »

Shattered Sword Should be on the list IMO.
I've heard very good things about the First Team books but haven't read them.
Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors was quite good especially if you like lots of personal interest stories.
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Some suggestions to be added to the list:

Robert Massie's "Dreadnought" & "Castles of Steel"
As a fairly new member of the is forum both these books have helped me learn about the geopolitical and historic events in the development & use of dreadnoughts up to end of the World War 1.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Thanks for your replies guys!

Shattered Sword and Robert Massie's "Dreadnought" & "Castles of Steel" are already there.
hammy wrote:Could you add a line to the book "Aircraft Carriers" by Roger Chesneau to say that it is a sister volume to the three covering Battleships , Cruisers and Destroyers by MJ Whitley , ie the four books are a "set" all in the same format.
But, do they really belong to the same book series? Different author, different publisher... :think:

Happy Christmas to all !!
RF

Post by RF »

Another very good book published a couple of years ago, titled ''All brave Sailors'' by J Revill Carr is certainly worth listing as it covers a very controversial subject of alleged maritime war crimes by looking at the individuals involved in very great detail.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Post by lwd »

José M. Rico wrote:...Shattered Sword and Robert Massie's "Dreadnought" & "Castles of Steel" are already there. ...
Sorry about that. I see how it's organized now. I didn't see Richard Worth's cruiser book on the list though.
hammy

Post by hammy »

José M. Rico wrote:
hammy wrote:Could you add a line to the book "Aircraft Carriers" by Roger Chesneau to say that it is a sister volume to the three covering Battleships , Cruisers and Destroyers by MJ Whitley , ie the four books are a "set" all in the same format.
But, do they really belong to the same book series? Different author, different publisher... :think:
Hi Jose , Ive just had another ~( puzzled ) look at the books and find my copy of C V s by R C is a third edition 1998 by Brockhampton Press , a member of the Hodder Headline PLC Group , whereas the first was Arms and Armour Press , Lionel Leventhal Ltd , 1984 , and the second by Arms and Armour press , 1992 .
It looks to me as if these books are being re-printed by reincarnations of the original publisher as company mergers and aquisitions took place , which may account for the variance in nominated publishers , but they are definitely intended as a set as I have them here . Too alike to be anything else , everything inside is the same , down to the typeface used .
" Relax ! No-one else is going to be fool enough to be sailing about in this fog ."
Kyler

Post by Kyler »

Could you add, The Great Ships: British Battleships in World War II

My lovely wife got me this book for Christmas, I haven't read it completely threw yet, but so far so good.

Definitely not a picture book, but has some good information in it.
"It was a perfect attack, Right Height, Right Range, Right cloud cover, Right speed,
Wrong f@%king ship!" Commander Stewart-Moore (HMS Ark Royal)
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

"KONIGSBERG - A German East African Raider", by Kevin Patience.
Jellicoe

Post by Jellicoe »

Battleships and Battle Cruisers, 1905-1970: Historical Development of the Capital Ship by Siegfried Breyer. Available on Amazon.

This book is indespensible for those interested in Battleship design. Incredible uniform line-drawings Translated from the German, and with a certain German bias, it is nevertheless an impressive work, and my favorite go-to source for battleship info.
t-geronimo

Post by t-geronimo »

Hello Jellicoe!

Keep in mind that this book of Breyer contains several "mistakes".
Most of them are not real mistakes, I guess. I think that better information were simply not available to Breyer at the date the book was printed first.
Later he corrected most of them with his second issue "battleships and battlecruisers 1921-1997".
DAS

Post by DAS »

Hi, new member here. Now, where do I start on books?

Tyrwhitt of the Harwich Force - A Temple Patterson

A very interesting read about one of our more successful WW1 Naval officers

The Truth about Jutland - JET Harper

Short, but interesting even if only for the strong attack on Beatty and the admiralty at the time

Emden: My experiences in SMS Emden - Franz Joseph Hohenzollern

Fascinating account of a fascinating episode (managed to find a copy on Ebay)

Rules of the Game - Andrew Gordon

Slightly different slant on Jutland, plus an interesting account of Naval development and a brief biography of Vice Admiral Sir Hugh Evan-Thomas

Currently working through The Grand Fleet 1914-1916 - Admiral of the Fleet John Jellicoe. Another Ebay special :wink: