Twins vs Beaufort

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Twins vs Beaufort

Post by Terje Langoy »

G´day all

I am looking for literature concerning British aerial movements around the channel coast - March 1941 to February 1942 - thus I turn to you for book recommendations. Of the few books I have paid attention to so far - Torpedo Airmen by Nesbit and Breakthrough by Potter - are any of these worth an order?

If not, do you have any suggestions..?
Byron Angel

Re: Twins vs Beaufort

Post by Byron Angel »

Terje Langoy wrote:G´day all

I am looking for literature concerning British aerial movements around the channel coast - March 1941 to February 1942 - thus I turn to you for book recommendations. Of the few books I have paid attention to so far - Torpedo Airmen by Nesbit and Breakthrough by Potter - are any of these worth an order?

If not, do you have any suggestions..?

..... I can't speak to the books you mention above, and my own book recommendation does fall beyond your timeline of interest, but you might like to pick up a copy of "THE STRIKE WINGS - Special Anti-Shipping Squadrons 1942-45" by Roy Conyers Nesbit. Excellent book IMO.

Byron
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

G´day all

I have received the book Torpedo Airmen by Roy Conyers Nesbit and made a brief read into the chapters of primary interest, these being a) Scharnhorst bound for home after Operation Juno, b) Gneisenau torpedoed at Brest and c) Operation Cerberus.

The book is written in anecdotes thus it is not the type of literature I had in mind, that would be official records i.e. squadron and flight numbers, crew, chronological list of events etc. but it turned out to be a satisfying purchase nonetheless.

It brought attention to subjects such as the night guidance technique Darky Darky and the GP vs. SAP theory to surface amongst the air crew after the attack on Scharnhorst in June 1940. These things might not receive the same treatment in official records.

But the quest for literature (preferrably official records) continue - all inputs are appreciated.
aurora

Re: Twins vs Beaufort

Post by aurora »

Ship-Busters: British Torpedo-Bombers in World War II
Ralph Barker
Reviews
Stackpole Books, 31 Mar 2010 - 272 pages
Low-level strikes by British torpedo-bombers against enemy naval vessels ranked among the most dangerous aerial tactics developed during World War II. But the risks frequently paid off, whether in the attack by a single bomber on the German battleship Ltzow, the torpedoing of the of the Gneisenau, or the crippling blows against Rommel's supply lines to Africa. Colorful in its depiction of aircrew life and stirring in its descriptions of torpedo-bombers in combat, Ship-Busters is a classic account of World War II in the air.

The above may well suit your needs

aurora
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim