Bismarck Books

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
richardm

Bismarck Books

Post by richardm »

Hi There,

I am new to this forum and was wondering about two recent Bismarck books. The first is a German publication entitled "Kapitan zur see Ernst Lindemann: Der Bismarck-Kommandant" by author Jens Grutzner. The book came out in March 2010 and has 436 pages to it. By the size of it and having read some comments from Amazon.de it looks as though it is a fairly detailed and well researched account of his life. I wonder if anyone on the Forum has read it or could comment on it. As far as I can tell, it hasn't been published in English (hoping!). For anyone interested in the Bismarck I would think this would be a book well worth purchasing.

The second book is entitled "Bismarck: The Epic Chase" by James Crossley. Again, I have seen varied comments on it, but would be interested to hear comments from Forum members as well.

I am glad to see that there are authors who continue to look at the Bismarck episode and to write from different angles, but I'm guessing there is not a lot more that one can say that hasn't already been said.

Kind Regards
Richard
Auckland, NZ
lwd

Re: Bismarck Books

Post by lwd »

There is a books and reference section. Did you check there?
RF

Post by RF »

richardm wrote:
. The first is a German publication entitled "Kapitan zur see Ernst Lindemann: Der Bismarck-Kommandant" by author Jens Grutzner. The book came out in March 2010 and has 436 pages to it.
I would be interested actually as to whether an English translation or reprint is due.

And welcome to the forum Richard.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

I would be interested actually as to whether an English translation or reprint is due
Me, Too!
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
richardm

Post by richardm »

Thank you for your replies and for your kind welcome to the Forum.

I have searched the Internet pretty thoroughly and can find no information relating to an English printing of the Lindemann book. One would hope that given the enormous amount of interest there continues to be regarding the Bismarck that this volume should be translated into English for a wider audience. It is the only book I know of that has been written exclusively about the life of the Bismarck's Captain and would be necessary reading for anyone who is interested in the Bismarck. Given that it is a recent publication (2010) maybe there are plans for an English printing? I havn't discovered any book written about Gunther Lutjens life either and I reckon a volume would also be welcome for Bismarck enthusiasts. Ah well....here's hoping!

Kind Regards
Richard
Herr Nilsson

Post by Herr Nilsson »

I've read the book about Lindemann and IMHO it's one of two German books in the last 10 years in which you can read something new about Bismarck (the other one is the two volume edition "Schlachtschiff Bismarck: Das Original" and "Schlachtschiff Bismarck: Das Modell" of my friend Josef Kaiser). AFAIK it tooks Grützner a couple of years to find a German publisher. I can't imagine it will be easier to find an English publisher.
Regards

Marc

"Thank God we blow up and sink more easily." (unknown officer from HMS Norfolk)
mike kemble
Supporter

Post by mike kemble »

Battleship Bismarck A survivors Story by Baron Burkard Von Mullenheim-Rechberg
Triad Granada Book ISBN 0-583-13560-9

I have a copy - its excellent