Neptune's Inferno.

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
lwd

Neptune's Inferno.

Post by lwd »

I really liked this one. Much may be review for those more familiar with the naval aspects of the Gaudalcanal campaign but I round the descriptions very well done and detailed and it put all the battles in perspective. It also went into the politics of the USN in some detail and provieded a rather unflintching looks at many involved.
Electron

Re: Neptune's Inferno.

Post by Electron »

I'm currently reading this i just finished the First Battle of guadalcanal november 13,but a few things that stands out is firstly the Bravery of the US Navy and Marines but also it has to be said the disorganization in almost every aspect of the Navy,having done a little reading on this subject before i bought the book i was aware that the US Marines were very unhappy at the Navys performance,..WELL its not hard to see why,the Japanese were re-enforcing the island at will under the very noses of the US Navy.Good book however and i'll perhaps add more when i've finished.
Steve Crandell

Post by Steve Crandell »

Electron wrote:I'm currently reading this i just finished the First Battle of guadalcanal november 13,but a few things that stands out is firstly the Bravery of the US Navy and Marines but also it has to be said the disorganization in almost every aspect of the Navy,having done a little reading on this subject before i bought the book i was aware that the US Marines were very unhappy at the Navys performance,..WELL its not hard to see why,the Japanese were re-enforcing the island at will under the very noses of the US Navy.Good book however and i'll perhaps add more when i've finished.
The USN lost a lot of ships not doing anything.
aurora

Post by aurora »

There was more blame to spread around than could possibly be laid upon the commanders on the spot. The Allied operations plan was poor. Although the distribution of the forces could not be helped, the fact that there were only two flag officers with the three screening groups necessarily led to command problems.
Quo Fata Vocant-Whither the Fates call

Jim
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

The attrition of IJN aviators was important here.