Some resources for you.

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
OpanaPointer

Some resources for you.

Post by OpanaPointer »

You may know some or all of our sites, but Patrick and I like to get the word out when we can.

Hyperwar, possibly the largest collection of primary source documents related to WWII on the Internet. Primary focus is military history, and technical data.

WWII Resources, Hyperwar's little brother. Focus is primarily on political, diplomatic and social documents. (This site houses the "Congressional Hearing into the Attack on Pearl Harbor" and related documents. The "Magic" Background to Pearl Harbor is also available here.)

Documents relating to the USN, 1775 to 1920. A wildly erratic collection of documents, history, biographies and "stuff" relating to the USN from Day One to the end of WWI.

Enjoy!
RNfanDan
Supporter

Re: Some resources for you.

Post by RNfanDan »

Hyperwar, I find, is MUCH too US-centered for my taste. Thanks for the link, anyway!

Cheers,

Dan
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

RNfanDan wrote:Hyperwar, I find, is MUCH too US-centered for my taste. Thanks for the link, anyway!

Cheers,

Dan
Well, that's what we have the most of here in the US. We are working on adding more non-US sources, I have about a dozen volumes of "History of the Second World War" in the queue and SAF and Indian forces volumes are being edited. Loans or donations of material to be included on the site are always welcome. And we need proofreaders, so if you have a special area of interest we may be able to provide you with the chance to get that area represented a bit better on the internet.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Hyperwar, I find, is MUCH too US-centered for my taste.
That makes no sense to me. There's a lot of German material at this site, so it doesn't suit my tastes...?
There's tons of good stuff at Hyperwar etc. Is there any chance of moving from html toward pdf? Seeing the document itself is often helpful.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Tiornu wrote:
Hyperwar, I find, is MUCH too US-centered for my taste.
That makes no sense to me. There's a lot of German material at this site, so it doesn't suit my tastes...?
There's tons of good stuff at Hyperwar etc. Is there any chance of moving from html toward pdf? Seeing the document itself is often helpful.
I'm with you on that. However we have a grumpy old jarhead in the loop, so we're proceeding slowly. That "someone" is a very good historian, but a Luddite otherwise. But he's catching on pretty quickly. Relatively quickly. Sorta.
Karl Heidenreich

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

The problem with US centered information is twofold: that is regarded as absolute and faithfull, on one hand, and that it avoids the allied participation as British, Canadian but specially Soviet regards. That is why people like Glantz are so good, they break down those myths.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RNfanDan
Supporter

Post by RNfanDan »

Thank you again for the reply. I am posting to both justify, and to amend, my earlier statement.

For one reason or another, I could not view anything beyond "The Pacific War" section of the website. I visited Hyperwar within moments of reading your initial post, using the hotlink you provided. I had also tabbed the link as a "favorite" and filed it away for reference.

Now, after reading the replies from yourself and Tiornu I tried again, but this time using my filed URL instead of the KBismarck hotlink, embedded above. I can now access the site far beyond what I could obtain previously. :clap:

Out of curiosity, I again tried the embedded here, and still get the same "faulty" result as before--nothing but the first limited topics. :?

I cannot provide a technical explanation for this, but now that I know better, I am able to amend my earlier comment. :ok:

Cheers,

Dan
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:The problem with US centered information is twofold: that is regarded as absolute and faithfull, on one hand, and that it avoids the allied participation as British, Canadian but specially Soviet regards. That is why people like Glantz are so good, they break down those myths.
Good thing information can be independently verified in most cases.
OpanaPointer

Post by OpanaPointer »

RNfanDan wrote:Thank you again for the reply. I am posting to both justify, and to amend, my earlier statement.

For one reason or another, I could not view anything beyond "The Pacific War" section of the website. I visited Hyperwar within moments of reading your initial post, using the hotlink you provided. I had also tabbed the link as a "favorite" and filed it away for reference.

Now, after reading the replies from yourself and Tiornu I tried again, but this time using my filed URL instead of the KBismarck hotlink, embedded above. I can now access the site far beyond what I could obtain previously. :clap:

Out of curiosity, I again tried the embedded here, and still get the same "faulty" result as before--nothing but the first limited topics. :?

I cannot provide a technical explanation for this, but now that I know better, I am able to amend my earlier comment. :ok:

Cheers,

Dan
Interesting. This is the home page. http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/

I'm glad you like the site, but be advised there are 50 gigabytes of files there, so you may want to tell someone where you're going before you get in too far. :D
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

But he's catching on pretty quickly. Relatively quickly. Sorta.
Fingers crossed...!