Spanish Book Cruiser Canarias

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
Tiornu
Supporter

Spanish Book Cruiser Canarias

Post by Tiornu »

Has anyone had a look at Historia y Estela del Crucero Canarias by Jose Barcelo-Fortuny? I'm curious to know if it has any armor schematics or other technical information that might be useful for me.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

Hello Tiornu,

It is always a pleasure to help with Spanish books, however I know little about this one. It has been just recently released and I haven’t had time to browse through it. It has been published by “Almena Ediciones” and you can read more about it here:

http://www.libreria-almena.com/NOVEDADES_ALMENA.jpg

Still I don’t think it has armor schematics at all. From what I read it is more about the long operational career of the ship.

Take care.
Last edited by José M. Rico on Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Thanks. If you learn any more specifics, please let me know.
Michal Kopacz

Post by Michal Kopacz »

Tiornu,

There is nice article in WI 2/1979 about Canarias, but you probably know it.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

That's right, I have that one. I also have the thin Polish book on her.
Javier L.

Post by Javier L. »

Hello. What is WI 2/1979? A journal, magazine.... :?:
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Yes, that's Warship International, Number 2, 1979.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

I have another question about the ships. Can anyone say for certain that Canarias and Baleares mounted their torpedo tubes, or did circumstances prevent the actual installation?
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

The intended torpedo tubes for these cruisers (12 tubes, 6 per side) were never mounted. First because of the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War and the need to put the ships in service as soon as possible, and after the war it was decided not to mount the torpedo tubes in the Canarias anymore. The Baleares was sunk in March 1938.
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Thanks for that. I had heard this was the case, but I needed confirmation. Can you tell me what references address this? I was looking at the old Warship International article, which is very good, though it does claim the tubes were mounted. It says the tubes were removed from Canarias after WWII; I wonder if this is because the openings in the hull were plated over at that time...?
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

After WWII torpedo tubes were never mounted and during the Spanish Civil War there was just no time to do that. Source I checked:

Historia Marítima Española
Teniente de Navío Francisco Javier Oubiña
Publicación 297
Escuela Naval Militar
Marin

Also take a a look at:

http://www.kbismarck.com/mgl/cruisers.htm
Tiornu
Supporter

Post by Tiornu »

Thanks.
José M. Rico
Administrator

Post by José M. Rico »

I finally had the opportunity to browse through "Historia y Estela del Crucero Canarias" by Jose Barcelo-Fortuny at my local bookstore. It is probably the best single volume published about this cruiser. A very good book overall, it includes full history, origins, construction, civil war engagements, Bismarck rescue operation, post-war service up until 1975, scrapping, technical information, and a few drawings. Full of photos (some not very good quality though). It also confirms that no torpedo tubes were ever mounted on the ship.

http://www.libreriadenautica.com/items/LHEC-1.html

One of Canarias' 8" turrets on display today at the Spanish Naval Academy, Marín (Pontevedra).
Alfonso Arenas

Canarias and other spanish cruisers' book

Post by Alfonso Arenas »

Hi, all

There is a 219 pages book very rare and very hard to find that is, to my opinion, the best about spanish cruisers. It is very rare because it was not intended for selling. Its purpose was to serve as a present to personalities (politicians, ambassators, high ranking officers and so on). It was edited in very reduced quantity (2.086 units only), and there is no price for them. It was published in 1993, the editor was the 'Empresa Nacional Bazán' (the spanish navy yard), the ISBN code is 84-87063-06-3, the title is 'El Crucero en la Armada Española' (The Cruiser in the Sapnish Navy), and the head of the writing team is Carlos Fernández Santander.

The level of detail, technical and historical info, and the quality of pictures excedes widely the standars on the genre. Only the Koop & Schmolke books could be comparable. The price, in consequence, in unmeasurable. Time to time appears an unit in the resellers shops, usually because the death of the owner. I have seen two or three copies in regular condition at no less than €200 (to me a reasonable prize, giving the facts). I reccomend it very warmly to any really interested in the surprising spanish cruisers.

Regards,
Alfonso
Tiornu
Supporter

Re: Canarias and other spanish cruisers' book

Post by Tiornu »

Oh my goodness! These rare books will be the death of me.
What ships does it cover?