KM GNEISENAU

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
1958nige

KM GNEISENAU

Post by 1958nige »

Hi

Just joined the forum so hello from me.

I am in the process of building a 1/128 scale model of gneisenau from a fleetscale hull but wonder if there are plans for the good lady out there somewhere. It seems there are plans for her sister Scharnhorst but the info on Gneisenau is limited. Most model kits simply seem to do the obvious and move the main mast location but I am aware there were other differences in the hanger area and weapons fit as well as slight differences to the clipper bow.

Any help would be appreciated :pray: :pray: :pray:
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

G´day All

You must first of all decide upon a given time/period of her career to be reflected. Gneisenau was object to constant alterations in her active years, from the notable ones to the smallest of details

As for a proper print of the ship there is one member at this forum (Antonio Bonomi) who has researched and documented many of those alterations. He might be able to provide you the plans you seek

You could also keep an update on your progress in this thread and there will be numerous knowledgeable forum members to help you single out various differences
1958nige

Re: KM GNEISENAU

Post by 1958nige »

No joy from antonio.

Can anyone help me please
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

G´day all

Why don´t we just start off with the most essential of questions and determine the period to be reflected in your model? This must be established before I can provide any design details or track down plans. As an example why this is sort of important let´s look at the hangar of Gneisenau; this being reshaped time and again... Cerberus portrayed one type of hangar, Operation Juno had another type hangar, Operation Berlin had an elevated AA-position in the hangar area. In short loads of stuff were added, reshaped and/or removed during the operational career of the ship so once more, time to be reflected in the model is top priority

I suggest you use Google image and type search word “Gneisenau” to find and peek through a great array of pictures of the ship. Find an image to your pleasing and to further base your model on, paste a link to it in this thread and then let´s start scouting for detailed plans

Kind regards
Terje Langoy
Supporter

Post by Terje Langoy »

G´day all

An update on the matter at hand...

If the one to open this thread is still seeking accurate plans for Gneisenau I could inform you I just recently received a copy of a long desired masterpiece paperback, namely The Battleship Gneisenau from Kagero Publishing. Laid out in 3-D format this pamphlet offers a pictorial review literary at nuts-and-bolts level. The amount of detail is simply tremendous

It would also see closure to my initial response and hereunder question to you concerning the decision of time period to be reflected in your model. The majority of pictures in this pamphlet reflect Gneisenau as seen during Operation Berlin in 1941 so there´s your baseline... Now go get the book and you will have the path further laid out for you

Happy modeling
RF

Post by RF »

1958nige wrote:
if there are plans for the good lady out there somewhere. It seems there are plans for her sister Scharnhorst but the info on Gneisenau is limited.
Without wishing to be overly pedantic should not Gneisenau be a ''he'' as was the Prussian general the ship was named after?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
lwd

Post by lwd »

RF wrote:
1958nige wrote: if there are plans for the good lady out there somewhere. It seems there are plans for her sister Scharnhorst but the info on Gneisenau is limited.
Without wishing to be overly pedantic should not Gneisenau be a ''he'' as was the Prussian general the ship was named after?
No. The convention if both English and German is that ships are "she"'s.