New website project on german uboats: Duikboot

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
t-geronimo

New website project on german uboats: Duikboot

Post by t-geronimo »

I am happy to announce a new project in our HMA: DUIKBOOT.
Two Belgians, Frans Beckers and Walter Cloots, have collected and evaluated documents and information about german uboats in World War 2 for over 35 years. From this they created a unique database that is now presented in the "Historische MarineArchiv" (HMA).
I don’t want to tell any further details about the history of the project, sources and so on because this is done by the authors on the introduction page.

Because it is a belgian project the main language is dutch. Some datafields are nevertheless presented in german and english and maybe others will follow later. But as we talk of about 68.000 datasets this will take its time.
But even now most of the data should be understandable and if not, there are several translating tools in the web.

On first sight the search form and its possibilities may look a little bit complicated. But this is only due to the huge amount of information.
For your help and explanation there are pdf files for several search fields.

By the way this is the first project in the HMA where the different pages are presented not only in german but also in english and dutch language.

This project is like others still in process and further updates will come.

And now have fun with Duikboot:

--> http://historisches-marinearchiv.de/pro ... php?lang=2
RF

Re: New website project on german uboats: Duikboot

Post by RF »

I have perused this site and it does look interesting.

Will it eventually feature updated crew lists?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
RF

Re: New website project on german uboats: Duikboot

Post by RF »

The other thing I notice is that in trying to get a log on all the documentation is in German, is there or will there be an English version?
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.