Books on the Battle of Riachuelo and Haitian Civil War

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
Vawarner1

Books on the Battle of Riachuelo and Haitian Civil War

Post by Vawarner1 »

Hello I would like to introduce my self.

I am an author of two books on unusual naval history. One is on the Warships of the Battle of Riachuelo June 1865 on the border of Argentine and Paraguay. The Second is on a Civil war in Haiti from 1867 -1870 where a brilliant naval campaign was waged by president Sylvain Salnave. I try to promote some of the lesser known events in history, especially in the period of 1850-1880. Both Of my books are available through many online book services such as Amazon. I am working on two more books on the Chincha Island wars off Chile and the warship of Asia in 1860's.

I will field any question on the history or book inquiries.

regs

William Warner, PhD

Warship at the Battle of Riachuelo
The Battle of Riachuelo, which took place in June 1865, is almost completely forgotten by naval historians, who usually see naval history as a developmental path and look at this period in light of the introduction of the ironclad at Hampton Roads (1862) and Lissa (1866). However, these two battles, though important in the history of naval development, are mostly uninteresting and consist of cannon balls bouncing off the armored hulls off ships and large lumbering ironclads blundering into one another. The Battle of Riachuelo is the largest non-armored, steam power battle in naval history and pitted the professional modern Brazilian Navy against the improvised Paraguay squadron. Riachuelo consisted of many complex and improvised tactics and maneuvers; some have become controversial among the naval historians that analyze the battle.

Warships of Salnaves War
Two years after the American Civil War, another civil war waged among the jungles and beaches of one of the hemisphere's first's democracies, Haiti. This civil war is one of the few examples of a three-way internal conflict. It was waged by peasants in the hills as well as by state-of-the-art warships along its Caribbean shorelines. As in many conflicts in South and Central America, it lies forgotten in the few French texts and even fewer English books, covered over by the violent and often sad history of Haiti's past. The conflict is known as Salnave's War because it revolved around the fate of President Sylvain Salnave. Salnave rose to power on the promise of democracy, but that promise soon faded into authoritarian dictatorship.