Books on Norway campaign, 1940

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
Francis Marliere

Books on Norway campaign, 1940

Post by Francis Marliere »

Gentlemen,

I have an interest on the naval operations off Norway in 1940, especially the operations Juno / Alphabet during which HMS Glorious was sunk by Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. I have seen 3 recents books on the suject on Amazon :
- The Battle for Norway April - June 1940 - Geirr H. Haarr
- Fight for the Fjords: The Battle for Norway 1940 - Jane Harrold
- Campaign in Norway: History of the Second World War: United Kingdom Military Series: Official Campaign History - J. R. M. Butler

I would like to know which one is the best. Thanks for your advices.

Best regards,

Francis Marliere
marcelo_malara

Re: Books on Norway campaign, 1940

Post by marcelo_malara »

Do not have the other two, but both books by Geirr H. Haarr are very good, very detailed and well written, not easy to be bettered.

Regards
Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

Hi Francis,

I would add to the list the new (2017) book of Harry Plevy "Norway 1940 - Chronicle of a chaotic campaign" that, despite not concentrating on the Naval Campaign, but covering the whole operation, is a very comprehensive 400 pages volume.

I found it very well done and hugely researched with many precise references to original documents, but I have not read any of the other three books.

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
marcelo_malara

Post by marcelo_malara »

This one is very good, but only about the Narvik naval battles:

https://www.amazon.com/Narvik-Battles-F ... 1557507449