Cold War navies

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
MikeBrough

Cold War navies

Post by MikeBrough »

Does anyone know of a good history of the Cold War at sea, preferably focusing on the ships and navies, themselves? I'm looking for something that describes the 'why' of the different classes. What were they designed to do or to counter?
RF

Re: Cold War navies

Post by RF »

I think there might be a problem of it being too early here, with so much material on both sides still classified.
''Give me a Ping and one Ping only'' - Sean Connery.
MikeBrough

Post by MikeBrough »

RF wrote:I think there might be a problem of it being too early here, with so much material on both sides still classified.
Fair point.

I was heavily involved in WW3 naval wargaming back in the 80s but I've since forgotten everything I ever knew. Now I suspect that even what I did know might not be 100% accurate.
hucks216

Post by hucks216 »

Concentrating on just the RN, there is this book about the Destroyers & Frigates which includes details on the designs that were passed over...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Destroy ... d+frigates
MikeBrough

Post by MikeBrough »

hucks216 wrote:Concentrating on just the RN, there is this book about the Destroyers & Frigates which includes details on the designs that were passed over...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Destroy ... d+frigates
I've got that one. An interesting read but there's something a little jarring about the period he covers, stretching from the mid-30s through to the present day. It's not a natural continuum in my mind but that's perhaps just my WW1/WW2 inclinations surfacing. :D

Still, a good suggestion and I think I'll go back and read it through again.

Thanks.