Major German Warships International Radio Callsigns

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
Godfrey DYKES

Major German Warships International Radio Callsigns

Post by Godfrey DYKES »

Does anybody know what the international radio callsigns were for Bismarck, Tirpitz and the other capital ships down to cruiser level. Thank you.
Question. What were the international radio callsigns of the Bismarck, Turpitz and all the other leading German warships of WW2 from 1939 until 1945. Thank you.
Ulrich Rudofsky
Contributor & Translator

Post by Ulrich Rudofsky »

The Morse Code call letters, i.e., international call letters (?), were:
BS Bismarck
HP Hipper
LW Lützow
GU Gneisenau
PE Pelikan
PG Prinz Eugen
SC Scheer
SH Scharnhorst
TP Tirpitz

(Source: Übliche Kurzbezeichnung von Schiffen durch den Morseanruf [Commonly used short designation of ships for Morse hailing], in Paul Schmalenbach's "Schwerer Kreuzer Prinz Eugen")

I don't know if any WW2 German warships ever had a 4 letter international call code.
Ulrich
RNfanDan
Supporter

A Special Welcome

Post by RNfanDan »

To Mr. Dykes!

Hope to see more posts from you here, in days ahead!
Godfrey DYKES

INTERNATIONAL RADIO CALLSIGNSOF MAJOR WW2 GERMAN SHIPS

Post by Godfrey DYKES »

Many thanks Ulrich. Your time is much appreciated. Godfrey Dykes
Ulrich Rudofsky wrote:The Morse Code call letters, i.e., international call letters (?), were:
BS Bismarck
HP Hipper
LW Lützow
GU Gneisenau
PE Pelikan
PG Prinz Eugen
SC Scheer
SH Scharnhorst
TP Tirpitz

(Source: Übliche Kurzbezeichnung von Schiffen durch den Morseanruf [Commonly used short designation of ships for Morse hailing], in Paul Schmalenbach's "Schwerer Kreuzer Prinz Eugen")

I don't know if any WW2 German warships ever had a 4 letter international call code.
Question. What were the international radio callsigns of the Bismarck, Turpitz and all the other leading German warships of WW2 from 1939 until 1945. Thank you.
Antonio Bonomi

SKL codes

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

you still miss :

BL = Blucher

GS = Admiral Graf Spee

Ciao Antonio :D
Godfrey DYKES

Re: SKL codes

Post by Godfrey DYKES »

Dear Antonio
Many thanks for your additions to the input supplied by Ulrich. I very much appreciate your effort in supplying this information. Take care. Best regards. Godfrey Dykes
Antonio Bonomi wrote:Ciao all,

you still miss :

BL = Blucher

GS = Admiral Graf Spee

Antonio Bonomi

SKL radio codes

Post by Antonio Bonomi »

Ciao all,

@ Dodfrey,

my pleasure to help.

On many SKL radio messagges, especially for the raiders on the ocean you can find also Hilfskreuzers reference codes, do you need those as well ?

Like : HK1 , etc etc ....

Let me know and I can write them as well.

Godfrey DYKES

Re: SKL radio codes

Post by Godfrey DYKES »

Hello Antonio
Thank you for your kind offer of further assistance which I greatly appreciate. However, my research need is only for four letter international radio callsigns [although the two letter morse callsign for inter-ship communications by flashing light is a bonus for my needs]. I have also asked others not in this Forum so if I get anything productive I will let you know. Kind regards. Sincerely. Godfrey Dykes

for
Antonio Bonomi wrote:Ciao all,

@ Dodfrey,

my pleasure to help.

On many SKL radio messagges, especially for the raiders on the ocean you can find also Hilfskreuzers reference codes, do you need those as well ?

Like : HK1 , etc etc ....

Let me know and I can write them as well.

E.Ludwig

German Navy warships international call signs

Post by E.Ludwig »

Hello Godfrey here my answer to your question of 22 July 2006:

All warships and all merchant ships of all ations had an international call sign issued by the ITU's Bern (Switserland) office. This call was used for contacts with coast stations or other ships (and even all civil aircraft) world wide in ppeace time. The ITU call sign lists are avaiable to the the general public against payment. My first list dated 1941 and had the whole series. I asked ITU for the lists prior to 1940 but they were sold out. The two letter call signs are of course secret and used for inter KM QSO's. I was a member of RNARS. Erik