Battle of Midway new book

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
Karl Heidenreich

Battle of Midway new book

Post by Karl Heidenreich »

Has anyone read this:
Jonathan Parshall - Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway?

I haven´t.

This guy, Jonathan Parshall is the one of Combined Fleet who regards Bismarck as one of the worst battleships in history :evil: . But the critics say this book is simply outstanding, a revision of the official history of the battle not trying to explain how the USN won it but how Japan lost it. :wink: I like to know from one of you how is this book.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
Sir Winston Churchill
RF

Re: Battle of Midway new book

Post by RF »

Karl Heidenreich wrote:Has anyone read this:
Jonathan Parshall - Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway?

I haven´t.

This guy, Jonathan Parshall is the one of Combined Fleet who regards Bismarck as one of the worst battleships in history :evil: . But the critics say this book is simply outstanding, a revision of the official history of the battle not trying to explain how the USN won it but how Japan lost it. :wink: I like to know from one of you how is this book.
I haven't seen this book and I would be interested to see who the critics are and what their perspective is before I do.

If Mr. Parshall considers Bismarck as one of the worst battleships in history I wonder what he would make of Hilfskreuzer Widder....
lwd

Post by lwd »

I've read it. I consider it excelent. A strong emphasis on telling it from the Japanese side. First couple chapter delve into the politics, history, and doctrine of the Japanese navy. Most of what happens is described from the Japanese point of view. They've used Japanese sources a lot which few US publicaton have todate. They challenge and pretty well disprove a number of things almost everyone in the US "knows" about Midway. Such as the Japanese CVs having their decks full of planes.

There's also another one out now I believe. Haven't read it yet.