Recommended book on SMS Derfflinger?

Naval and military history books, recent releases, magazines, related documents, articles, etc.
mstary1

Recommended book on SMS Derfflinger?

Post by mstary1 »

Hey everyone. I was undecided on whether to put this request in this folder or hypothetical naval scenarios?
I've written a naval fiction book, approx 125,000 words long which revolves around the battlecruiser Derfflinger.
The story follows the career of a young Sub-Lieutenant from Jutland all the way to the 1950's. His nemesis of course is the Derfflinger,
which is not scuttled at Scapa Flow but fights again in the Second World War. The main character must prove to the admiralty that the Derfflinger is back and on the high seas in 1940 and not lying upside down at Scapa flow.

What I'm looking for good reference books on the Lutzow class and German battlecruisers in general, also perhaps the Scharnhorst class as the refitted Derfflinger takes some characteristics of that class of ship. I want to make sure my research is accurate on the Derfflinger to ensure plausibility of my novel. So if anyone can recommend good books on the class, I would be in your debt.

Kind regards,

Mark.
Byron Angel

Re: Recommended book on SMS Derfflinger?

Post by Byron Angel »

I highly recommend "German Battlecruisers of World War One" by Gary Staff.

B
frontkampfer

Post by frontkampfer »

Seconded! Gary Staff is probably the best English language authority on the KLM. With his passing there is a big void to fill.
"I will not have my ship shot out from under my ass!"
Alberto Virtuani

Post by Alberto Virtuani »

Hi Mstary1,
for Scharnhorst, I must say that, after having consulted several (not all) texts, I found M.J.Whitley "German Capital Ships of World War two" from1989 the best one, even if not entirely dedicated to Scharnhorst class.

Bye, Alberto
"It takes three years to build a ship; it takes three centuries to build a tradition" (Adm.A.B.Cunningham)

"There's always a danger running in the enemy at close range" (Adm.W.F.Wake-Walker)
mstary1

Post by mstary1 »

Thank you everyone for the wonderful replies.
I've purchased German Battlecruisers 1914-1918 and German Battlecruisers of World War One from Gary Staff. And thanks Alberto on the Scharnhorst recommend. I really want to get Derfflinger's 1938-1939 refit technically plausible. Also in my novel, her escape in 1918 needs re-writing to reflect her machinery as I thought she was only coal fired.

Thanks again everyone, very much appreciated.

Mark.
Byron Angel

Post by Byron Angel »

If you are looking into how a re-build/re-fit of Derfflinger might have proceeded, you might want to look into the career of Goeben, which survived WW1 and continued in Turkish service as "Yavuz Sultan Selim" until 1950.

Other updated WW1 capital ships that might be helpful as references would be HMS Warspite and the Italian BBs of the Cavour and Doria classes. HMS Tiger was also briefly considered as a post-WW1 candidate for modernization, but was ultimately scrapped.

FWIW.

B
mstary1

Post by mstary1 »

Thanks Byron for your tips. I'll check out everything I can about the Yavuz. For the refit, which is done in Argentina, I had Derfflinger modified with Atlantic bow, turrets remain but 11" guns replace her 12", New machinery, bridge modelled on Scharnhorst, casemate guns fared in, catapult between funnels and funnel caps to name a few. The books I've ordered will be a big help in reviewing my novel and making changes as necessary. I especially want to get her radar fit, hydrophones, bunkerage and range right for the second part of my novel, hence why I'm going to order a book on the Scharnhorst class as well.
Cheers mate and thanks again.
Mark.
USS ALASKA

Post by USS ALASKA »

Byron Angel wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:52 pmOther updated WW1 capital ships that might be helpful as references would be HMS Warspite and the Italian BBs of the Cavour and Doria classes. HMS Tiger was also briefly considered as a post-WW1 candidate for modernization, but was ultimately scrapped.

FWIW.

B
Sirs, if I may add - another refit / upgrade to use as a reference would be the Japanese Kongos.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA