Sailing ship race

From the battle of Lepanto to the mid-19th century.
paul.mercer

Sailing ship race

Post by paul.mercer »

Gentlemen
A totally different subject to what we are used to discussing.
If it were possible to match one of the old square rig tea clippers in as race against a modern square rigger using just manpower and without the newer ship using any modern items such as navigational aids or power winches, who would win given winds up to say force 7 or 8?
My own opinion is that he old skippers would be willing to push their ships harder due to their own and their crews experience, but what do you think?
Byron Angel

Re: Sailing ship race

Post by Byron Angel »

paul.mercer wrote:Gentlemen
A totally different subject to what we are used to discussing.
If it were possible to match one of the old square rig tea clippers in as race against a modern square rigger using just manpower and without the newer ship using any modern items such as navigational aids or power winches, who would win given winds up to say force 7 or 8?
My own opinion is that he old skippers would be willing to push their ships harder due to their own and their crews experience, but what do you think?

I think that the odds would likely be with the more modern ships. Their much stronger wire standing rigging would enable carriage of more sail in blowing weather.

Byron
marcelo_malara

Re: Sailing ship race

Post by marcelo_malara »

An example:

-The maximum logged speed for Cutty Sark was 17.5 knots (32.4 km/h; 20.1 mph). Her greatest recorded distance in 24 hours was 363 nautical miles (672 km; 418 mi) averaging 15 knots (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutty_Sark)

-the ARA Libertard made 316 miles in 24 hours during the 1966 crossing of the North Atlantic in which she won the Boston Tea Pot trophy.